I Need an Effective Mouse Repellent That Is Safe and Natural
Top 5 Best Natural Mouse Repellent Products That Actually Work in 2023 Comparison Chart
|Earthkind Stay Away Pouches|
|Mighty Mint Peppermint Oil Spray|
Best for Cars
|Grandpa Gus's Extra-Strength Pouches|
Best for House
|Fresh Cab Botanical Pouches|
Best for Walls
|Shake-Away Rodent Repellent Granules|
Mice can be a homeowner’s worst nightmare. They’re not just annoying, they also carry diseases and are destructive to your home.
If you’ve tried everything from traps to poison but still have mice in your house, it might be time for something new. I found 5 natural mouse repellents that work!
These products use ingredients like peppermint oil or catnip to keep mice away without any harmful chemicals or poisons. You’ll find these items at most grocery stores and online retailers, so there’s no need to worry about running out of supplies when the next mouse invasion happens!
Top 3 Best Natural Mouse Repellent Products Reviewed
After much research, some products stand out more than others. And the winner is Earthkind Stay Away Repellent Pouches.
1. Earthkind Stay Away – Best Natural Mouse Repellent Pouches Without Harming Pets (Editor’s Choice)
Earthkind Stay Away Pouches are the perfect solution for those who want an all-natural mouse repellent product. It doesn’t harm pets or people. The pouches contain natural ingredients like Balsam Fir Oil, Fragrance Oil, and Plant Fibers, making this product safe for everyone in the home!
It’s just as effective as conventional pest control products in deterring mice, but it’s more affordable in the long run. The smell of these pouches is not exactly pleasant for humans, but that doesn’t matter because you can simply put them away when guests are coming over.
The only downside to this product is that you have to replace it every three months if you want the mouse-repelling feature. This is because the pouches’ pellets will evaporate after three months and won’t be as effective anymore.
- Safe for pets and humans.
- Made of plant fiber and essential oil.
- The natural scent doesn’t last long.
- Easy to use.
- Harmless to kids and pets (after it has dried out).
- Can be used in homes with small pets.
- The smell doesn’t last long.
- Has to be replaced every three months (when the pellets evaporate).
2. Mighty Mint Peppermint Oil – Most Effective Natural Mouse Repellent Spray That Works (People’s Choice)
Mighty Mint Peppermint Oil Spray is a ready-to-use, natural, and humane product for repelling rodents. It contains 4% peppermint oil that has a powerful odor to repel unwanted pests.
Mighty Mint comes in an easy-to-spray can; all you need to do is shake the bottle well before use and spray it on problem areas such as baseboards, entryways, sidewalks, engine compartments, and storage areas where rodents are likely to enter.
- Shake before use.
- Spray on issue areas to repel rodents and pests.
The ingredient of this product is mild, but it’s best not to use them broadly without testing first. This rodent repellent works by releasing a potent scent that repels rodents. It leaves a strong smell that makes rodents feel uncomfortable thus, they won’t return to the treated areas again and eventually move on and look for another place to infest.
The use of peppermint oil in this product is effective and safe for kids and pets or other mammals that may come into contact with it. It may not be the best product to use in a kitchen, but it can be used in garages and storage areas where food is present.
Mighty Mint Peppermint Oil Spray comes in a 16-oz bottle with a sprayer, so you can easily apply the repellent on affected areas. This ready-to-use peppermint oil spray is very effective in repelling rodents, and it may also repel other insects such as ants and spiders.
The price of this product is a little expensive compared to other mouse and rat repellents that you can buy today, but because it contains natural ingredients, it’s still considered safe for use around kids and pets. Mighty Mint Peppermint Oil Spray can be used to repel rodents both indoors and outdoors.
Mighty Mint Peppermint Oil Spray is a natural and effective way to repel rodents from your home or yard without using toxic substances that may harm kids, pets, and other animals. It has the added advantage of being safe for use around food as well.
- The natural ingredients used in this product are safe for kids, pets, and other mammals.
- It’s effective in repelling mice, rats, squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, and other small animals.
- It leaves a refreshing peppermint scent that keeps rodents away and has quick results.
- Keep your home or yard free of pests without the use of toxic substances.
- Mighty Mint Peppermint Oil Spray may not be effective in killing pests, but it will surely repel them from the treated areas.
- The price of this product is a little expensive compared to other rodent repellents that you can buy today.
The use of natural ingredients in Mighty Mint makes it safe for use around kids, pets, and other mammals. This product may not kill the rodents, but it will surely drive them away from your home or yard. Though it may take a few days before you start noticing the results, you’ll be happy to know that this rodent repellent is effective in keeping pests away. Pests are known to return to certain areas for nesting; however, it’s best not to treat your entire yard or home with this rat and mouse repellent, as you may end up driving them into an area that hasn’t been treated.
3. Grandpa Gus’s Extra-Strength Pouches – Best Natural Mouse Repellent Packs for Cars
Now I’ll tell you about Grandpa Gus’s Pouches. These are a new product on the market that uses two herbs known for their potent anti-rodent properties, peppermint oil, and cinnamon oil. One pouch lasts up to 30 days! This means there are no lethal chemicals or dead mice involved – just simple herbal ingredients that keep your home free from rodents without harming them in any way.
The company also proudly sells these products made in America with all organic materials!
- Keeps your home free from rodents without harming them in any way.
- This product is intended for use in mice only, not rats or squirrels.
- Enjoy a fresh-smelling home that is rodent and chemical-free!
- Keeps mice away
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t leave behind an odor like most chemical sprays
- You have to keep replacing the pouches regularly
- Isn’t as effective as chemical sprays
4. Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent – Best Natural Mouse Repellent for House with Proven Performance (4 Scent Pouches)
Pests are a nuisance in any environment, but they can be especially bothersome when found inside your home. Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent is the perfect solution to keep pests away from your home for up to 90 days.
This plant-based alternative freshens and protects our storage areas for up to 90 days. Continuous protection for 30 days, even in places you can’t see or reach. It does not leave behind an unpleasant odor like other repellents on the market today, making it safe around children and pets when used as directed.
Fresh Cab’s active ingredient is 2% Balsam Fir Oil which is effective against rodents without being harmful if consumed by animals or humans alike! The EPA has registered this product, making it compliant with federal and state regulations.
- Continuous protection for 30 days, even in places you can’t see or reach.
- It does not leave behind an unpleasant odor like other repellents on the market today, making it safe around children and pets when used as directed.
- Made in the USA.
- If applied to upholstered furniture, vinyl flooring and leather products may lead to damage to these items.
How to Use Fresh Cab Pouches
- To use the Fresh Cab, you must first remove the plastic wrapper. Put it in areas where you want to keep away mice. Do not put it on furniture or other things that are finished because it may stain them.
- If there is already a mouse infestation: Put one pouch for every 8 sq ft where you’ve seen rodents around before. Replace after 30 days or when the scent is gone.
- For prevention of future mice infestations: Place 1 pouch per 125 sq ft, and replace every 60 days or when the scent goes away. The more pouches there is the more efficacy. Cool temperatures and minimal air exchange will increase how long it lasts, but even when the scent is gone, the product won’t work any less.
Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent is a natural way to keep your home free of pesky rodents. It should be placed in areas where there has been rodent activity and replaced after 30 days or when the scent diminishes, whichever comes first.
The product will not lose effectiveness at freezing temperatures, so it can provide you with peace throughout all seasons!
If you’re not quite satisfied with Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent, your purchase is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee!
I highly recommend trying out the product and seeing if it works for you. You can’t go wrong – especially when there’s a money-back guarantee!
5. Shake-Away Rodent Repellent Granules – Best for Use Inside Walls and In Attics
I was looking for an organic option to get rid of the mice in my garden, and what I found was Shake-Away Rodent Repellent Granules.
I had tried everything short of calling in a pest control company, but nothing seemed to work – until I found this product! It’s made from all-natural ingredients that are safe around kids and pets. Plus, it’s not expensive at all!
How to Use
- Apply the Shake-Away Rodent Repellent Granules per package instructions and enjoy pest-free gardens!
- The ingredients in these granules are natural and safe around family, pets, and valuable plants
- It takes advantage of the predator-prey relationship and prey animal’s genetically programmed instinct of fear
- You will need to apply Shake-Away Granules every 30 days or before heavy rains for maximum effectiveness.
- Effective and easy-to-use rodent repellent in the industry today.
- Takes advantage of the predator-prey relationship and prey animal’s genetically programmed instinct of fear.
- 100% organic and safe for family, pets, and valuable plants.
- It takes a little of time before the effect could be seen
- Limited to use in certain areas
What are the Best Natural Mouse Repellent in 2023? – Your Expert Buyer’s Guide
Mice are invading homes in your neighborhood, and you don’t want them in your home. People are putting out poison, but that’s not an option for you. Poison can harm children, pets, wildlife, and the environment. Mousetraps kill one mouse at a time, and you have their dead bodies to dispose of. But you have to do something before the pests contaminate your home. Are there less deadly choices? Is there any effective natural mouse repellent? Keep reading for answers as to how you can prevent a mouse invasion naturally.
What Repels Mice Naturally?
No one wants mice sharing living quarters with them. Many people try to poison them. The downside of that is that mice often take a long time to die after consuming the poison. That gives them time to find hidden places in which to die, leaving decaying bodies for you to smell. Aside from that, other mice will move in to replace their dead companions.
The better choice is to repel mice so that they stay out of your home.
Two natural mouse repellents are:
- Devices that make a noise that mice dislike.
- Smells that mice dislike.
You’ll experience varying degrees of success with these. There is more information in this article about what smells do mice hate.
Let a Predator Eat Them
Another way to naturally eliminate your mouse problem is to encourage predation. Cats are a natural enemy of mice, as birds of prey such as owls. Predators like these will hunt, kill, and eat mice. Consult your local wildlife or extension office for tips on encouraging owls. Humane societies and animal shelters can help you with a cat.
If you don’t want to acquire your cat, ask for used kitty litter from a cat owner. Litter in which the cat has urinated is the best. Sprinkle the stinky litter around the foundation of your home. Mice will think you have a cat and will set up housekeeping somewhere else.
Experiment to Find an Effective Repellent
People have used a variety of household products to repel mice.
These include, but aren’t limited to:
- Ammonia – it has a strong smell which mice don’t like. It also makes mice think of cat urine, another smell mice dislike. You can set small dishes of ammonia wherever you think mice might be or you can spray it.
- Castor oil – It smells bad and tastes worse.
- Camphor – The smell will repel mice, but you’ll probably use it more outside than inside because most people find the smell unpleasant.
- Mothballs – Do mothballs keep mice away? People have long used them as an all-purpose repellent. Use them outside and avoid areas where children or pets play.
- Rotten onions – The smell repels all but the most persistent of critters. You’ll probably only use them outside as it’s unlikely that you want that smell in your house.
- Apple cider vinegar – spray around the outside of your home. If you don’t mind the smell you can also spray it inside.
Almost anything that smells bad will repel mice at least temporarily.
The thing to remember is that although mice can climb and jump, they travel along the floor. Any repellent must be placed very low, especially since the fumes will rise. They prefer to travel along walls or in dark areas, so placing foul-smelling products along baseboards or in corners will repel them.
Natural Ways to Keep Mice Away
The best mouse repellent is making your home undesirable to them.
Mice enter your home in search of 3 things:
Food is the most important of these. Removing the food source will often make mice search elsewhere for a place to live.
Super cleanliness is the key to keeping mice out. Even the tiniest crumb will attract a hungry mouse.
Precautions to make sure an intruder can’t find something to eat include:
- Wiping all counters and anywhere else food is prepared or served.
- Sweeping floors and vacuuming carpets, especially if children carry food around.
- Cleaning up all spills immediately.
- Keeping all stored foods in tightly sealed containers.
- Avoiding leaving pet food out.
You also need to avoid leaving dirty dishes overnight in a sink or dishwasher.
Mice have sensitive noses, so while certain food smells will attract them, strong smells will repel them. Some people place whole cloves around to repel mice. Others use strong essential oils. This article discusses how does peppermint oil get rid of mice.
Mice will build their nests inside your house if they can. Favorite materials are anything they can shred. That includes stacks of newspapers or magazines. Any accumulation of cardboard, paper, or similar materials needs to be removed. Empty all trash containers daily to eliminate both food and nesting materials.
Keeping outside areas free of debris and clutter will keep mice away from your house. Remove anything that a mouse can hide in, including brush, yard clippings, or equipment. Mice are attracted to pet feces, so keep it cleaned up. Trash cans should be covered with tight-fitting lids. Minimize eating outside to avoid dropping food that mice can find.
Mice can enter your home through very tiny cracks. You can keep them out by caulking or otherwise sealing any openings. If that isn’t possible, stuff steel wool in gaps. Mice can’t chew through steel wool, and it is a natural deterrent.
Places where you can place steel wool include:
- Openings for utility lines, such as cable.
- Around exhaust vents, such as your dryer or fans.
- The molding or siding around windows or doors.
Look under your sinks and stuff steel wood around water pipes and drain pipes. You can learn here how to use dryer sheets to get rid of mice in places where you don’t want steel wool.
The directions for most repellents instruct you to place them where mice enter, eat, or nest. But what if you don’t know where those places are?
Mice travel by foot. Guess as to where they’re traveling to or from – spotting their feces is a good clue. Then sprinkle talcum powder, baby powder, or flour in that area. The next morning you’ll see mouse tracks. If you don’t see tracks, sprinkle the powder or flour in a different area the next night. Sooner or later, you’ll find where the little pests walk.
Best Natural Mouse Repellent Plants
The best way to keep mice out of your house is with natural mouse repellent plants. These plants will not only repel the mice but also provide other benefits like beauty or fragrance in your garden.
I’ve put together this list of the 10 most effective natural mouse repellent plants that you should plant around your home to keep these pests away!
- Garlic – Planting garlic near entry points can help deter mice from entering your house by their smell alone.
- Lavender – This fragrant herb has been shown to be an effective deterrent for mice. Grow in pots if you are worried about preserving its lovely smell indoors or plant in your garden to create a barrier the mice will not cross.
- Petunias – While petunias may attract bees, they also repel rodents by their scent. Plant in planters near entry points to keep these pests away from your home.
- Mint – You can plant mint in your garden to naturally repel mice or even grow some indoors near entryways for the same effect.
- Rosemary – An ingredient in many dishes, this fragrant herb is also a natural repellent for mice and other rodents. It works most effectively when planted in pots near entry points to repel the pests.
- Sage – Another herb that has a strong scent, planting sage near entry points will help keep mice out of your garden.
- Wormwood – This plant has been used as a natural mouse repellent for years and can be effective in most climates. Plant wormwood around your home and around window sills to keep mice away.
- Rue – Repels pests by its very presence, rue is an excellent natural mouse repellent plant. Try planting it near entry points, but be sure the smell doesn’t bother you!
- Lavender Mint Maze Plant – This mix of scents will not only repel mice but also create a very pleasant olfactory experience for your garden.
- Citrus – The strong scent of lemon, grapefruit, and orange scares mice away so you can plant these trees or shrubs around your house as a natural mouse repellent.
These are just a few of the most effective natural mouse repellent plants that are effective. If you have a garden or access to plants, try planting these to keep the pests away naturally.
DIY Natural Mouse Repellent
You can use a mouse’s avoidance of strong smells to make a spray for repelling it. Several DIY natural mouse repellent recipes start with dishwashing detergent.
Combine it with water and one or more other ingredients such as:
- Minced garlic,
- Hot sauce,
- Castor oil,
- Jalapeno peppers.
Use the mixture as a spray wherever you think mice are entering, eating, or nesting. You’ll need to vary the proportions until you find an effective combination. The dishwashing detergent is just to help the other ingredients mix in the water, so you don’t need more than a cup, if that, to a gallon of water.
You can also make your version of commercial mouse repellent pouches. One homemaker used ground corn cobs such as that sold for pet bedding, which she then soaked in essential oil. You can use your choice of any oil that has a strong fragrance. A handful of the soaked material was then sewn into a small pouch.
Place a pouch anywhere you think there might be mice. The scent of the oil will last for months and will repel any mice that come near it. The pouches are useful if a spray would stain carpets or other areas. When you’re choosing the bedding and oil to use for your pouches, read this article for details on does cedar repel mice.
Frequently Asked Questions
The smell of peppermint will repel mice endlessly because it's a herb that they are extremely sensitive to!
The scent of peppermint is the most effective way to keep these pesky rodents away while smelling great! You can either spread some high-quality peppermint oil around where you've seen them more than once, or you could leave some fresh cut leaves and stems laying about. Make sure not to store your herbs and oils where children or pets might be able to get into them, though - just in case. 🙂
Mice generally don't like the scent of lavender, and it is effective as a repellent. It's easy and inexpensive to make your natural mouse repellents with lavender oil.
Lavender is an effective mouse deterrent as well as a cleansing agent, which makes it doubly helpful as a way to clear away mice smells from the home after they take up residence! Place dried lavender in tea lights around the house, or buy little concoctions of potpourri sprayed with lavender oil for places where you think mice might enter and leave territorial markings - like behind your stove or in your pantry.
You will want to reapply a fresh coat of peppermint oil every few days when you see mice activity.
- It's best used when you know certain areas in your home are prone to mouse activity.
- You only need a small amount.
- Preferable, with cotton balls or cotton swabs.
And make sure not to spray it too heavily, as this may repel people from the household and allow the mice free-range to come inside. 🙂
Optionally, use a mixture of both peppermint oil and lavender oil for an extra boost! Just remember that if this is in a room where someone with allergies is often present, it might cause discomfort. It's also possible that mice don't like more than one scent, so don't go overboard and use too many in one area!
House mice are the usual vermin trying to live with you. Field mice will come inside when it’s too cold outside or if they don’t have a food source. You may have to experiment before you find the best mouse repellent. Effectiveness will be affected by how desperate the mice are for a warm home where food is plentiful. If one repellent doesn’t work, you have others to try.
If you’re tired of the mess and hassle that mice can bring into your home, don’t fret! We’ve compiled a list of the 5 best natural mouse repellent products to help keep these pests at bay.
Whether you need something for prevention or just want to get rid of any rodents in your house now, there’s an option here for everyone. From easy-to-use granules to all-natural herbal pouches, this article has it all – including pros and cons so that no matter what product you choose, you’ll feel confident about its effectiveness.
- Protect your home from pesky rodents.
- Save time by using these 5 natural repellents that are easy to use.
- Get a wide variety of products with just one click for effective pest control.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Natural Mouse Repellent Products That Actually Work in 2023 Comparison Chart
- Top 3 Best Natural Mouse Repellent Products Reviewed
- 1. Earthkind Stay Away – Best Natural Mouse Repellent Pouches Without Harming Pets (Editor’s Choice)
- 2. Mighty Mint Peppermint Oil – Most Effective Natural Mouse Repellent Spray That Works (People’s Choice)
- 3. Grandpa Gus’s Extra-Strength Pouches – Best Natural Mouse Repellent Packs for Cars
- 4. Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent – Best Natural Mouse Repellent for House with Proven Performance (4 Scent Pouches)
- 5. Shake-Away Rodent Repellent Granules – Best for Use Inside Walls and In Attics
- What are the Best Natural Mouse Repellent in 2023? – Your Expert Buyer’s Guide
- What Repels Mice Naturally?
- Natural Ways to Keep Mice Away
- DIY Natural Mouse Repellent
- Frequently Asked Questions
You can find further details of Mice Control here.
we think we have voles in our garden. There are numerous holes everywhere. Please advise a natural way of getting rid of these pests