How to Eliminate Ants with Safe for your Pets Killers
Tired of cleaning the mess left behind by ants in your home? Here is a simple and effective guide of eliminating them completely and safely. Besides being a real nuisance to your home, they also farm garden pests such as soft scales and aphids. An ant infestation can, therefore, be vexing, and many times it becomes almost impossible for a homeowner to deal with the stubborn insects. So, how can you safely get rid of ants? In this write-up are tested ways and products that can effectively help in solving your problem. Learn about pet safe ant killers that can help in controlling your situation more effectively.
Table of Contents
Safe Ways of Killing Ants
It could be a horrible situation to find ants swarming your open bowl of sugar the moment you open your cabinets, and this could perhaps prompt you to use strong chemicals to take the annoying pests all out as fast as possible. Avoid products that need you to keep a hotline number for emergency assistance. Also, understand that the chemicals could be harmful to your pet.
Today, there are many ways of destroying ants completely in a safe and a responsible manner.
The most proven is the use of natural products including:
- A mix of dish soap and water: fill a bottle with water and thoroughly mix it with dish soap. Look for a trail of ants and then spray the pet safe ant killer over them. This will immediately suffocate them. Soapy water is a natural insecticide.
- Locate the source of the ants: if you notice ants in your kitchen especially fire ants, follow their trail. Fire ants for instance form mound in the yard and try to find their way to food scents. Locating the source gives you quick solutions of how to get rid of fire ants in a way that won’t harm your pet. Use caulk to seal the entrances the ants are using to get into your home and steer clear of the fact that they are small and can fit into almost any opening. Then, apply weather stripping to the doors. In your kitchen, food and trash should be stored in tightly sealed containers. Vegetation should be trimmed back, and furniture and debris sitting in the compound should be removed.
- White vinegar or lemon juice: ants are quickly repelled by vinegar and the acidic scent of lemon juice. Using a solution of vinegar and water makes it less likely for ants to crawl into the surface. When sprayed around doorways, countertops, windowsills and the entire home, the solution can act as a deterrent. Alternatively, lemon juice can be an excellent solution. Ants are averse to citric acid.
- Baking Soda: by mixing sugar and baking soda in a ratio of 1:1, you can quickly exterminate ants. They are attracted to the solution by the sugar, while the baking soda is meant to kill them.
Ant Killer Safe for Cats
There are great ways of keeping ants off your property without using harsh products that could potentially harm your cat.
Want to make the process of ant extermination much safer for your cat? Use humane ant control ways. Note that most toxic products harmful to the ants are also damaging to cats.
Baiting ants, for example, is a control method that encourages worker ants to feed the entire colony.
- Boric acid, when mixed with sugar, is a proven method used to kill ants. It comes at the cost of around 7 dollars. The balls made out of the sugar and boric acid solution should be placed at all entry points and crawling areas. Boric acid poisons the ants’ stomachs causing them to die. The acid also destroys their exoskeleton. Also, the acid could be sprinkled around their nests to kill ants that come crawling out instantly.
- Black pepper is a nonpoisonous product that can also be used to eliminate ants. It should be sprinkled along a trail of ants, in the cabinets, windowsills, and around your property.
- Diatomaceous earth: this is an effective pet safe ant killer, composed of fossilized diatoms. 10 LB costs around 29.99 dollars. Once ants crawl over it, their outer coating is scratched by the fossil shards leading to the drying out of their bodies. This is achieved by sprinkling the powder along the ant trails and in mounds.
- Corn Meal: ants are quick to feed on corn meal, unaware of the fact that it is hard to digest. Once carried to their colonies, the corn meal explodes in their bodies.
How safe is Terro Ant Killer around Pets?
Terro is a highly recommended liquid ant bait. It is a food based product, sweet like pancake syrup, and is combined with borax. Terro costs about 12 dollars.
It is designed to kill ants on contact and protect your residence with residual control for about two months. Worker ants are allowed to consume the liquid and survive long enough to carry the product to its colony. The slow kill gives time for the ants to make many trips to the bait. Keep off all other food products from the bait to ensure the ants only feed on the liquid bait.
The Best Ant Sprays
Summer is always an annoying season for most homeowners because this is when they have to deal with the irritating presence of ants. In case you experience this, only use a non-toxic and pet safe ant killer around your compound. So, what ant spray should you use in your home with the certainty that your pets are safe?
- Talstar Pro 96 ounce (47.43 dollars): This ant spray is highly effective against ants and can be used indoors and outdoors, widely employed by pest control experts. It is a proven pet safe ant killer with no smells or stains, is nontoxic, and has no chemicals.
- Eco-Defense Organic Home Pest (19.99 dollars): this is an eco-defense organic pet safe spray made with natural and safe ingredients. It is easy to use and gives quick results. Home Pest repels ants without leaving harmful fumes or chemicals and so can be used in any part of the home as often as need be.
- Orange Guard 103 Water Based Pest Control (9 dollars): this formula can be safely used around pets, and is designed for both indoors and outdoors to kill and repel both visible and hidden ants. When applied along a home’s perimeter, it acts as a barrier of protection. The formula took 14 years to go through thorough testing and certification to ensure it is safe for pets and children. The orange peels used leave a fresh orange scent behind.
- Ortho Home Defense MAX (13 dollars): this pet safe ant spray can be used to kill the pests quickly. After killing the ants, it then creates a protective barrier to keep ants away for up to a year. It does not stain, is odorless, and is pet safe once it has dried. It is, therefore, necessary to keep pets away until the solution has dried.
- PestEase Home Pest Control Spray (26.95 dollars): this naturally kills and repels ants. PestEase is composed of 100 percent natural, nontoxic organic ingredients and is safe to use around pets. You can have it applied to your home without the worry of having poisonous and harmful chemical filled fumes released to your home.
- EcoSMART Ant & Roach Killer (40.91 dollars): This is a 100 percent organic insecticide, safe to use around pets. It is made from a blend of organic plant oils and kills ants fast without leaving behind any harmful residue or synthetic toxins.
Ant Hill Killers
Ants are the most common insects found in backyards. They are beneficial in that they take out dead bugs as well as organic waste, but they are also known to cause problems. Some can bite or sting, and others can attack plants.
Below are effective ant hill killers:
- Hot water spray: Hot water is known to kill ants fast when poured on an ant hill. When extremely hot, the water is so lethal that it can eliminate the whole colony in your backyard.
- Soap Spray: liquid dish detergent can be mixed with water to form a potent spray safe enough to protect your pet and kill ants in a mound. A concentration of about five tablespoons of the soap detergent in a water gallon could work perfectly.
- White Vinegar: White vinegar is a pet-friendly way of eliminating ants in a mound. It disrupts the scent trail, kills the ants fast, and exterminates them permanently. Destroying their breeding ground, which is the ant hill, is the only way to be sure they will not reproduce anymore. The natural acidity found in vinegar is enough to kill ants.
Top 3 Best Ant Killer products
Getting rid of ants permanently can be very complicated for most homeowners. You may destroy a trail, only to find that a new one has formed just hours later.
Use tested products to kill ants. The best and most effective way of destroying them completely is by targeting their colony.
Below is a roundup of the best pet safe ant killer products:
- Advion Ant Gel
Advion, which costs about 26.70 dollars, has a solid reputation and outstanding user reviews as one of the best products for eliminating ants while still protecting your pets. It has a small percentage of the active ingredient, making it safe around pets and children.
Terro ant killer can be placed anywhere. It is a sweet bait which ants take and carry to their colonies, and this causes them to die within hours. Terro is a slow acting poison designed to destroy an entire colony and has great user reviews for effectiveness.
OptiGuard is a powerhouse product that comes in a gel form and is designed to attract and kill sweet feeding ants. Ants are allowed to feed on the poison, and given enough time to carry the bait to the rest of the colony where the nest is eventually destroyed. OptiGuard costs about 27.64 dollars.
There are different pesticides available, but what you find may not be a pet safe ant killer. This makes it necessary to lean more on non-poisonous methods, such as using a homemade ant killer.
You can find further details of Ants Control here.