How to Get Rid of Ants in the House
When it comes to pest extermination, not all people know how to get rid of ants in the house. It seems that these insects know numerous ways to get in your house: holes in walls, floor and foundation, crevices in the ceiling, basement and attic. Among a huge variety of ants that get inside are black, sugar and carpenter ones. So, how to get rid of carpenter ants?
Prevention Is the Best Cure
The common mistake everyone makes is that they start looking for ways out, when the problem has occurred. Why not prevent its appearance? Especially when it is not that hard. In order to prevent ant infestation, keep to the following tips:
- Keep your house clean, especially the kitchen, as ants get attracted by food sources. Cover attracting substance tightly and clean the furniture surface.
- Sweep the floor after meals, even little messes can attract ants.
- Always cover the foods you don’t hide in fridge.
- Never leave dirty dishes in the sink. Wash them up after each meal.
- Keep trash cans and bins far from your house.
- Take the trash out every day.
- Don’t allow moisture to accommodate on counters and other surfaces, as ants keep looking for water out wherever they can find it and stay near its sources.
How to Get Rid of Ants in Your House: Finding the Nest
For those, who want to know how to get rid of ants, looking for their nest is the first step to take. To find the location of their nest, follow the worker ants. Leave a sweet item outside, and after they catch a bite, follow them to the nest.
Of course, the procedure requires time and patience, but the result is worth the efforts. When you find the nest, spray boric acid powder between the walls or behind a tile. This will kill all the ants in the nest.
Why not use pesticides? The reason is very simple: some ants may hide or run away. If they have pesticide remains on them, they will spread them all over the house.
Top 5 Natural Repellents
- If you don’t manage to find the nest, you can sprinkle cayenne pepper near the opening where ants enter you home. This is the most effective natural repellent.
- One more option is blending water and citrus peelings in a food processor or blender. Lemon peelings are the most effective. However, lemon can also be used in a quite different way: take its juice and mix with water. Pour in a spray bottle and spray the mixture on the places, where you used to see ants.
- Placing instant grits along the path of the ants is another effective repellent. Eating grits ants start dying as grits work as dehydrators, absorbing all the water for ants’ bodies.
- The safest homemade remedy is a mixture of water and white vinegar. Spray the substance along the paths of the ants that are coming to your place.
- Other effective products are cinnamon, pepper, strong perfumes, cream of tartar, tea tree oil, etc. Mixing them with water and spraying all around, you will get rid of ants in a few days.
Knowing how to get rid of ants’ population in the house you prevent their armies from destroying the peace of your home.
You can find further details of Ants Control here.