How to Get Rid of Drain Flies: Fly the Larvae Down the Drain!
Drain flies are also known as moth as they remind us of them by their size. They can be met in drains and other premises with high humidity.
When a few, they can be even useful as they remove clogs. But they breed very fast and it is dangerous for people’s health.
Table of Contents
- What is a Drain Fly?
- Why Sewer Flies Are Dangerous
- Small Drain Flies in Bathroom
- How to Prevent Drain Flies
- How to Kill Drain Flies
- Drain Flies Home Remedy
- Professional control
- Preparing the Room for Disinfestation
- After the Disinfestation
What is a Drain Fly?
A drain fly’s body is covered with fluff and their wings are hairy. They live up to a month. They have a very short period of life but they multiply extremely fast.
Drain Fly Larvae
A mature female fly lays eggs in damp area and larvae pip out of them. Drain fly larvae are very resistant to temperature changes and they are able to survive in oxygen poor conditions. Larvae pupate in drains and their wings appear as well.
How To Get Rid of Sewer Flies
After destroying the breeding ground, the reproductive process is broken. Clean the drains thoroughly, remove all the leaks. If you have difficulties with drain flies killing, get in touch with a professional team to help you solve the problem.
One couple of flies can procreate about 1 million units within 6-8 weeks.
33 million of bacteria live in a fly’s gut as well as half a billion more cover its legs and body.
Why Sewer Flies Are Dangerous
More than a hundred bacteria are connected with flies which include salmonella, staphylococcus, dysentery and collibacilli. These bacteria can cause such human diseases as enteric fever, cholera, dysentery, hepatitis, conjunctivitis, poliomyelitis, tuberculosis, etc.
Sanitary is the main aspect of drain flies fight but correct diagnostics is also important.
Small Drain Flies in Bathroom
Having 2-3 mm flies in bathroom is a signal that your drain pipe is leaking.
The first step to remove the flies is to find the leakage. It can be under your sink, bath (if in the bathroom) or in the kitchen. Usually the place is covered with larvae which produce these insects.
As soon as you find the leakage, destroy the breeding place and fix the leakage. These insects do not live in dry clean space.
How to Prevent Drain Flies
- Keep drain pipes clean and fixed.
- Check regularly for any disorders.
- Disinfect your sewer pipes with special means.
- Keep an eye on drain clogs and remove them in time.
- Keep reservoirs with water closed.
- Don’t leave water in watering tanks.
- If you live in a cottage, create an artificial pond with fish eating insects.
How to Kill Drain Flies
Fighting with flies includes two basic methods:
Each of them is effective but has its own peculiarities which you have to consider. We’ll try to explain it.
You don’t protect your corner of Eden by wasting time. You do it by mastering the art of how to get rid of voles and their greedy little teeth.
Certain fiber-eating insects deserve to choke on silverfish bait like this for roaming all over your carpets at night.
Fumigation is a pest control measure which means poisoning them with toxic aerosols, gases and vapors.
To kill flies smoke bombs are often used with tightly closed windows and doors.
Disinfestation is a set of measures for destruction of insects using biological and chemical agents.
Flies removal involves treating various premises and major breeding sites of flies.
Drain Flies Home Remedy
Science provides us with all sorts of home fighting methods used to kill gnats, larvae, moth and drain flies. What you should remember that not all of them are healthy for humans. Fighting flies in domestic conditions is carried out by means of plates, liquids and spirals from flies and gnats.
In order to prevent the spread of drain flies it is necessary to observe sanitary rules and regulations.
To do this, take out the rubbish daily, install devices that will prevent the intrusion of flies into the room, and keep the room clean.
- Before using a spray remember to keep your mouth covered with a mask.
- Always put on gloves and long-sleeved clothes to protect your skin.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after the disinfection.
- Air the room (if it’s possible).
- Remember to keep your children and pets out.
Microencapsulated Subsatnces for Killing Flies at Home
For extermination of flies in premises microencapsulated funds are used. Such means minimize the risk of a negative impact on human health.
Microencapsulated substances give a good result, because they have a long period of exposure. They have no odor, and after using them do not leave streaks and spots.
The effectiveness of the fight with insects depends on destroying breeding places of flies.
Massive Breeding Cases
Therefore, the destruction of larvae in drains can lead to complete disappearance of flies.
Massive breeding places of flies need to be treated with means of acute exposure, with a characteristic pungent odor. The places are then treated with long-term prophylactic substances of drugs that have no smell.
This is necessary to prevent the re-emergence of insects.
Many modern disinfection remedy methods can help solve the problem of killing drain flies and gnats at home. But if it turns into a massive case, then you will need the experts’ help.
Real professionals know the specifics of every fly species that is why they use the most effective insecticides for killing particular insect species. And it should be noted that it gives visible results.
Preparing the Room for Disinfestation
To quickly get rid of flies, it is necessary to prepare the room, where the disinfestation will be held.
- you need to hide all the food and personal care products (in the kitchen or bathroom);
- free the access to the walls and the main landing sites of flies;
- it may require the suspension of the room usage. Though this is applied to large rooms. Because in addition to powders the process may require a large amount of aerosol, after which you will needsome ventilation.
If your livelihood and coziness are gnawed away at, start the process of evicting the unwelcome neighbors by learning how to get rid of termites forever.
When wasps conspire to sting you, retaliate by stinging them right back. Research how to get rid of yellow jackets in the ground here before they start spreading misery around.
They hopelessly outnumber you and never surrender. Insure your victory by investigating how to control ants reliably http://pestkill.org/ants/pavement/.
After the Disinfestation
- If your kitchen drain pipe was the reason, remember to wash the dishes and cutlery. Clean the tables, chairs and other furniture in the room.
- Air the room thoroughly and it can be used again in a couple of hours.
- Don’t wash the walls and other surfaces during several days.
- Keep clean after the procedure and check for drain leaks.
You can find further details of Flies Control here.