How to Get Rid of Sugar Ants
What Traps to Set?
They say that one should find out how to get rid of sugar ants by all means. It seems strange that such small insects can cause great problems. Don’t people exaggerate? Are ants really so dangerous?
Sugar ants eat everything: meat, nuts, cheese, seeds, honey, bread and even insects. They like staying in warm, dark areas, creating trails in unsanitary areas (washbasins, bedpans, water pipes, etc). Besides, they are really attracted by medical equipment and surgical wounds. So, how to get rid of ants?
Sugar Ants in Your House: Looking for Trails
Before you start baiting ants on your own, it is important to conduct proper inspection. Start with the outside area to find out how these pests enter your home: check windows, doors, pavements, fence lines, accent lights, etc.
When looking for their source, follow these steps:
- Start looking for trails, as ants like to colonize mainly moist areas beneath soil.
- If you use any bait, it should have zero competition, as the insects will follow it only if there’s nothing better around.
- Clean your kitchen from food debris like dishes, garbage and crumbs.
- Keep in mind that crushing or killing ants, you won’t get rid of them.
Measures of Sugar Ant Control
How to get rid of ants in your house? To begin with, you are to understand that you won’t get rid of these insects in one day. Make sure you spare some time every day:
- Mopping the floor. Mop after every meal, especially during summer months. Mopping helps to get rid of sugar ants by destroying their pheromone trails. Vacuuming is also effective, especially, when you are trying to focus on the areas, where you consume food all the time. Besides, vacuuming is helpful in getting rid of food remains like meat, vegetables or bread crumbs that attract sugar ants.
If you’d like to know how to start getting rid of sugar ants, you are to learn to control sugar ants inside of your house:
- Always keep your kitchen sink clean and dry, as moisture invites these pests the most. Rinse out dishes completely before you leave them overnight. Wipe glasses, spoons and plates dry. Leave no food, moisture or sweets. Empty the dish drain.
- Don’t forget to empty the trash bin. If you don’t have an opportunity to do this regularly, use strong garbage bags, as weak ones get punctured and let liquids drip out.
If you are looking for perfect detergents, you can use pepper and vinegar. They are the safest and the most effective ones. Sprinkle black pepper on ants leads to the entry points. If you find the initial location, sprinkle pepper there as well, as it will prevent re-entry.
What about vinegar? Mix water and white (or apple cider) vinegar in proportion 50:50 and spray counter tops, high traffic areas and windows sills. This mixture will help to prevent the occurrence of pest problem.
Sugar Ant Traps
As sugar ants like various foods, why not use mint jelly, maple syrup, peanut butter and honey for trap-setting purposes?
How to create trap? Take 1 tbsp organic boric acid, 1 tbsp maple syrup (honey or peanut butter), 1 cracker and a small cardboard box. Make pinholes in a box and mix food and the boric acid together. Spread this mixture onto a cracker and place it inside the box.
The food will attract sugar ants and boric acid will kill them. It’s better to set the trap for the night as ants do their food hunting during this time.
Use our tips, if you want to know how to get rid of sugar ants, and remember: never let these insects look for food and shelter in your house, because pretty soon they, and not you, will become owners of your place.