Voles can damage your lawn and garden in a hurry. In the worst cases, voles can actually damage the root system of your plants and bulbs, making them less likely to grow when their season comes. The good news is that voles don’t have to just be a fact of life for you in your outdoor spaces.
Use this guide to learn more about vole repellent options and how you can remove these pesky creatures from your property. It’s going to take some time and effort on your part, but it is a task you can handle if you’re dedicated and you’ve got the right supplies on your side.
Table of Contents
Obtain an Effective Repellent for Voles
Backyard animals like voles can be a big headache for homeowners. Whether you love to garden for fruits, vegetables and flowers, or you just want to keep your lawn looking good, figuring out how to keep voles out of garden areas is a must.
While it can seem like a difficult job, there are a variety of different vole repellent options on the market that can do the trick, depending on the severity of your problem. In some areas, you may need to dry a few different options before you find one that works for you. Once you do though, you should be able to keep voles away from your property for good through diligent use of the right vole repellent treatment.
Ready-to-spray liquids designed to repel voles from your yard can be purchased at many hardware and lawn and garden stores, as well as online through suppliers and big box stores like Amazon. Most of these ready-to-spray products feature castor oil as a main ingredient, which is a scent that voles do not like to be around. Other options may include ingredients like garlic, which can also be repellent to voles and problematic animals.
To use this type of treatment, most manufacturers recommend spraying borders and areas around your lawn and garden where voles may be causing problems. By doing this, you can push voles to another area where the castor oil scent is not in place.
Castor oil-based products are not harmful to humans or pets unless they are consumed in large quantities, making them an ideal choice for busy household with pets and kids where vole poison may be too hazardous to use.
Granules designed to repel voles from your yard are made to be spread around your garden borders and garden areas where you have seen voles. These products, like many vole sprays, are made with castor oil as a predominate ingredient.
Other formulas of vole repellent granules, especially those designed to help you learn how to get rid of voles naturally, may be made with garlic or cinnamon oil. Applying vole repellent granules can be a messy job, and if you have pets or kids, you have to take extra precautions to ensure their safety when spreading them on your lawn and garden areas.
Buying vole repellents is a quick, relatively easy way to keep these pesky animals out of your yard for the long haul. You do have the option to make your own vole repellent though, and in some cases, it can save you money if you’ve got a large property.
Always wear gloves when dealing with homemade vole repellent materials. Even products like castor oil and cinnamon oil can cause skin irritation and problematic reactions if they are exposed to your skin for long periods of time. Wash your hands thoroughly after making or using these mixtures.
- Make a spray mixture that is 20% castor oil to water. Spray this around lawn and garden areas.
- Prepare your own all-natural spray with a mixture of water, cinnamon oil, clove oil and garlic oil. These oils should make up about 5% of the mixture in total.
- Use a combination of readymade repellent to treat the problem, then follow up with homemade repellent. This is often a cost-effective and beneficial solution if you’ve got a vole problem.
What to Use: Reviews
With so many vole repellent products on the market, it can be hard to know which one is right for you. The fact is that depending on your space, you may benefit a great deal from one product while another leaves you wanting more.
Use these reviews to figure out where to start when buying pre-made products to tackle a tough vole problem in your yard and garden.
- I Must Garden Repellent – is a granular repellent designed for use in your yard and garden. Made with castor oil and other natural oils, this is a smart choice product for homes with pets and children where more powerful repellents may be a problem.
Users typically give this product a solid rating, though many note that it must be used regularly to remain effective.
- Ortho Mole and Vole Repellent. A ready-to-use spray repellent, Ortho Mole and Vole is designed to go onto your lawn and garden areas to quickly treat the space for moles and voles. Made with castor oil and other natural ingredients, this spray repellent gets high marks from online shoppers, likely because it’s so easy to use. This Ortho product is also rain resistant, which is important in areas where regular showers are common.
- Repellex Repellent – is another granular repellent, though it is formulated with castor oil, cinnamon oil, garlic oil and other ingredients like sodium lauryl sulfate for durability. While this product gets solid marks from users, many find that having to use a lawn and garden spreader is essential to get the best results.
If you have a large property, you can also buy Repellex in big quantities so you always have some on hand, which is an added benefit over smaller spray repellent options.
- Liquid Fence. Made to coat roots and earthworms, Liquid Fence is another castor oil mixture that repels voles by making their food source less enticing. Liquid Fence is typically used by pouring or spraying it onto garden or yard areas. This product is not harmful to your plants and is generally recommended by consumers.
- Shake Away Vole Repellent – is 100% organic, so it’s safe for pets and kids if used properly. A granule product, Shake Away is designed to be used regularly for about a month, which some consumers don’t like. However, it is rain resistant and often effective, so the extra trouble may be worth it if you’re dealing with a vole problem in your yard.
- Molemax 80 oz. Mole and Vole Repellent. Another granule product made with castor oil and vegetable oil, this one by Molemax comes in a large size, which is ideal for treating big backyard and garden areas. Best of all, it’s biodegradable and safe for kids and pets, so it’s an excellent, effective option for busy backyard areas.
Consumers give this product a solid rating for ease of use and the fact that it works in many different environments.
Products at Home Depot and Lowes
Not all products are easy to find, and if you’ve got a vole problem now, you may want to deal with it immediately before it gets worse. Major hardware and home and garden stores like Home Depot and Lowes have a few options that can work for you.
- Ortho Mole and Vole Repellent.
- Repellex Granular Vole Repellent.
- Solar repellents by brands like Bird X.
Any number of these solutions can be effective in your yard. As with most backyard pests, acting quickly is important when it comes to handling the problem.
Bird X Solar Vole Repellent Reviews
Bird X Solar vole repellent products are designed as an entire system to keep problematic pests out of your yard long term. They work through a series of ultrasonic transmitters that go in and around your property to create a tone that is unpleasant for these animals, though impossible for humans and pets above the soil to hear.
While these can be costly, they can provide a solution for your yard and garden that keeps all sorts of pests like rats, moles, voles and more away for good. Best of all, they require little maintenance other than checking to make sure they are working properly periodically.
Most reviewers are glad they purchased Bird X Solar products from problem animals like voles even if they do come at a high one-time premium since they are effective and easy to maintain over many months.
Tomcat 32 oz. Mole Vole and Gopher Repellent Concentrate
A highly-effective solution for spraying your yard for moles and voles, Tomcat 32 oz. mole vole and gopher repellent concentrate can penetrate the ground, making it an excellent choice for big problems. In user reviews, this Tomcat product is highly-rated, likely because of the ground penetrating technology.
Tomcat mole vole and gopher repellent is safe to kids and pets since it uses castor oil as its main active ingredient.
Best Vole Repellent
When it comes to repelling voles in your yard and garden areas, there’s no such thing as a best option. The truth is that you may need to try a few different things before you hit on the perfect one.
If you’re looking for an easy option or a minor problem, ready-to-spray vole repellents are often an ideal choice. They can be applied in minutes, and while they are typically the most expensive, they require little effort on your part. In many cases, they work wonders for backyards and gardens.
For bigger areas or tougher vole problems, granules may be your best choice. These last longer than sprays and tend to cover more area, making them a good choice for major mole and vole removal projects.
Finally, it’s important to remember that some major infestations can only be handled by professionals, especially if you have a very large yard or live in a semi-wild area. Once the pros fix your problem, you can handle keeping them away through spray products or granules.
You can find further details of Voles Control here.