Rat Repelling Guide: Working Repellents and Deterrents to Repel Annoying Rats
Every time we see dirty rats at our property, we want to make away with it. Rats may become a huge problem if you don’t want to kill, poison or harm it as there are not so many things specifically made to repel them.
Fortunately, there are some options you can effectively use to repel those pesky critters.
If you are one of those homeowners who suffer from constant attention of rats to your yard, garden, attic or basement, read our efficient tips to make away with these annoying rodents. We’ll provide you with our rat repellent guide that will help you to determine the most effective repellent and deterrent product for you!
Table of Contents
Effective solutions on how to repel messy rats
If you don’t want crafty rodents to destroy your property or your family health you can drive these disease-carrying pests with efficient rat repellents and deterrents.
Here is how to do it:
Before repelling, find out where these smart rodents spend most of the time. Identify rats’ signs of activity or damage like – rats’ tooth marks on cabinets, baseboards, grease marks along your walls, chewed wires or biting large holes in packaging. Note that rats prefer to live quiet in less-frequented places like your closets, attics and basements.
- Choosing the option
Now it’s time to choose an effective repellent. There are many ways to go. From ultrasonic repellents to natural rat repellent sprays it’s up to you what to choose.
Don’t let them feed in or around your home. Since food is rat’s main driving force, it’s essential to remove or protect food sources. Clean your property on a regular basis, store all indoor/outdoor garbage in rodent-proof containers and clear all fallen seeds, nuts etc.
- Eliminate rats’ access
Once you’ve driven them away, take steps to ensure rats cannot re-enter. Cover the gaps underneath garage/pet doors, relocate piles of debris or wood and seal spaces around openings for cable, vents, and water pipes.
What repels rats?
Rats don’t like the smell of mothballs. Place mothballs in the corners of your basement, attic or garage. You can place it underneath your fridge and in places where rats tend to live and hide. Placing mothballs in infested-with-rats areas can force these rodents to find some new place to breed. Although some homeowners state that mothballs are ineffective, you can try to deter rats with this solution as it is actually a cheap option. Keep in mind this product is made from 2 very toxic chemicals. The scent of mothballs can cause headaches.
- Rat repellent spray
Repellent sprays are another good option to remove messy rats. Although chemical repellents are not very practical solution to rat infestation, rats often find some odors and types of tastes objectionable. To prevent these critters from gnawing on fences, trees, poles, shrubs and other object use Ro-pel that is registered for repelling rats.
Ro-pel – combines special solvent system with the most bitter-tasting substance that effectively repels rats. The product is effective up to 1 year when applied correctly.
Where to use: on fences, posts, trees, footings, plants, seeds, bulbs, unpainted furniture. Don’t use Ro-pel on edible plants and crops.
Toxic gases known as fumigants are mostly used in rats’ burrows at outdoor locations. Before using this option you are to know that Fumigants are highly toxic. Compound including chloropicrin, aluminium phosphide and gas cartridges are registered for rat control.Rats cost the US up to $1 billion per year in damage.
Keep in mind that only familiar with the necessary precautions people may use fumigants. When it comes to structures or buildings, only licensed rat control operators may use fumigants in these places.
If you want to fumigate rat burrows you need to know that all entrances in the burrow must be sealed for the product to be effective. To fumigate the burrow, close the opening with soil immediately after fumigation.
Top 2 homemade rat repellents
- Mothball spray
Though mothballs are toxic, this solution can effectively repel rats. The odor is very unpleasant to rats and effectively keeps these messy rodents away. You can do your mothball spray at home and use it to repel rats. Take a couple of mothballs and crush then with a hammer. Put the crushed mothballs into a bottle. Then, fill it with water. Mix the solution with 1 tablespoon of dish detergent. Spray infested areas with this mothball option. Unpleasant-to-rats scent will keep them from returning.
- Vinegar spray
Want to solve your how-to-get-rid-of-rats issue? You can repel your irritating visitors in your yard and house with the help of Vinegar spray. This homemade repellent is cheap and eco-friendly. Just mix Vinegar with water in a spray bottle and the solution is ready. Spray your house or yard/garden lightly for a few days. Repeat spraying every week.
Electronic rat repellent ideas and products
Many homeowners prefer electronic options to repel rats as they are safe and eco-friendly. What’s more you don’t have to deal with snap rat traps that require handling of disease-ridden rats or poisons that cause rats to either die outdoors or retreat into your walls to die and decay.
Ultrasonic rat repellents irritate rats and successfully drive them to another location. Electronic options work by emitting high-frequency sounds only audible to rats and other rodents.
Electronic repellents are easy to use. Simply plug the device in an outlet in the place where you have identified rat damage.
If you have rodent pets at home, relocate them away from repellents. Rats will start to relocate after about 7-8 days.
It is recommended to replace the device every two or three years.
Unfortunately, ultrasonic waves can’t travel through walls, so you need to purchase device for each room. When selecting the device, purchase the one that has a signal strength fitting the size of the room you want to protect.
Let’s focus on excellent electronic rat repellents that work harder to protect your property:
- PESTCHASER Havahart 3X ULTRA MOUSE REPELLENT – rodent repellent device that provides high frequency ultrasound only rats and other rodents can hear. Successfully repels rats without the use of chemicals and poisons. Due to jackhammer-like sound which is released at over eighty oscillations per second rats will not get accustomed to it. Pestchaser repellent is for indoor use only.
- PESTCHASER® Havahart 2X PRO MOUSE REPELLENT – another effective repellent for those who want to see the reduction in rat activity in six-ten days. The device produces high-frequency irritating-to-rats ultrasound that can effectively repel pesky rats from your property.
- PESTCHASER MINI MOUSE Victor REPELLENT WITH NIGHTLIGHT – special ultrasound product that can effectively repel pesky rats from your property.
Benefits: when plugged in, the device emits energy-efficient blue light which lets homeowner know the unit is working.
- Transonic Pro – combines silent-to-most-humans ultrasonic and sonic (audible) sound waves. The solution is human and safe, great for those who don’t want to use traps and messy chemicals. Simple in use product covers up to 3,500 square feet.
Where to use: ideal for use at attics and basements.
Benefits: Safe and effective alternative to traps, poisons, eliminates the need for toxic pesticides.
- Yard Guard – silent ultrasonic pest/rat control device for unwanted rats and other animals. The product is ideal for use at semi-enclosed spaces.
- Best electronic plug in pest repeller – effective repellent for rats. You will see great results in 4-5 days. If rat infestation is really bad, it may take up to three weeks to see complete results. The device is absolutely safe around your domestic pets – dog and cats – and kids. Unlike messy rat traps and toxic poisons the device is eco-friendly solution to put a stop to your rat issue.
How to use: As far as each room in your home has walls, it is recommended to use 1 repellent per room for maximum effectiveness.
- Electronic ultrasonic rat repeller by Pestbye – effective and cheap solution to clear your whole house of rats. It combines 2 systems: Ultrasonic noise and Electro-Magnetic Interference. The device can be plugged into any room or basement.
- Riddex plus Pest Repeller by Generic – effective ultrasound repeller that ensures your home rat-free. Rats can’t stand the digital pulses of the device and leave the property.
What is the best rat repellent?
It’s difficult to state the best rat control option. When it comes to electronic rat repellents they are very effective at repelling rats when used alone, and even more efficient when used in combination with other rat repellents. For example you can try an ultrasound rat repellent alongside with some rat spray or granular repellent. Remember the more options you use the better your defense is.
An integrated method that includes eliminating attractants, repelling and trapping is the best form of successful rat control.
Using multiple rat control options will surely result in the most effective and successful defense.
We recommend using electronic solution with repelling granules and spray like Pest Rid.
Pest Rid Spray and Pest Rid Granules is effective rat control option that can successfully keep rats from foraging around your home.
First apply the granules around the foundation or in places with rat activity. After the following granules are set out, use Pest Rid spray.
What to buy:
- Pest Rid Granules
- Pest Rid Spray
Cost: $20.00 for 32 oz.
Where to use: in crawl spaces, attics and non-living spaces; in the yards – around shrubs, trees, walkways, roof tiles, pathways, etc.
Rat deterrent solutions
Rat deterrent is another great option to control rat problem on your property. The most efficient solution of your rat problem is using scent-based deterrents. Some plant-based scents, like balsam fir or peppermint oil are offensive to pesky rats. When they are used in the right combination, they are safe and very effective deterrent to remove rats.
No need to do your DIY solution as you can purchase the following:
- Fresh Cab Repellent – keeps rats out. The first reason to purchase the repellent is that it is 98% plant-based. The deterrent contains a powerful combination of working ingredients that are proven to deter rats. When it comes to testing, the product has shown to be over 89% effective at repelling rats out.
Cost: $43.02 for 13 pouches
Where to use: ideal for the average home, storage unit or garage. The deterrent keeps rats out of homes, attics, basements, sheds, garages, cabins and storage units. It effectively protects boats, campers, farm equipment, snowmobiles and kea storage areas.
The product is trusted by rat control experts and registered by the Federal EPA.
How to use: The scent of Fresh Cab lasts up to ninety days. For currently infested locations, increase use of Fresh Cab to 1 pouch per eight sq. ft. of your floor space and replace the product every thirty days.
- Rodent Defense Deterrent – perfect deterrent spray to keep rats away from treated places. Rodent Defense is the only product on the market, specially made and formulated to keep rats away by smell, taste and touch. The spray contains such known natural deterrents as fox urine, peppermint oil, garlic, red peppers and many other species. The product lasts up to thirty days when used outside and can last longer in cases when you spray it indoors.
For gardens: The product is the excellent tool for those gardeners who are looking for an eco-friendly, safe deterrent. If you are having issues with rats getting into or eating from your garden, a few sprays of this repellent will help your rat problem.
For garages, attics, and houses: apply the solution around nesting area or rat entry point.
For boats, cars and wires: a few sprays will help you to protect wires and cars from chewing and gnawing.
Remember, repellent and deterrent options are effective when used alone, but even more useful when used in combination with other rat control products. Before removing messy rats with excellent repellent products, make sure new rats can’t find their way in.
You can find further details of Rats Control here.