Top 5 Natural Commercial Rat Repellents, Plants, and DIY solutions
Removing rats is not easy. But you can resolve your rat issue by planting some herbs or using natural rat repellents. Take steps to make your yard, garden, and home unappealing to rats through a natural repelling approach.
You can spray many commercially produced rat repellents in strategic areas of your garden or lawn and in other parts of your property. Such products taste terrible to rats, who learn to leave the treated locations.
Here are the Top 5 Best Rat Repellents for Garden You Can Buy in 2023
Rats are a common problem in many homes and can be especially troublesome in the garden.
Not only do rats damage plants and property, but they can also carry diseases that can harm people and pets.
I’ve compiled a list of your garden’s top 5 natural rat repellents. From commercial products to easy DIY solutions, I have you covered.
5 Best Rat Repellents for Garden Reviewed
Are you looking for an effective way to repel rats? After much research and testing, I’ve found these products to be the most effective at repelling rats and keeping them from returning. And the winner is Tomcat Rodent Repellent Granules.
1. – The Best Kids & Pets Safe Natural Rat Repellent (Editor’s Choice)
Tomcat offers an excellent solution for outside rodent prevention. Their rat repellent granules contain active ingredients, including peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, and garlic oil, that help keep mice and rats out of your garden and away from your property. This long-lasting formula is sure to ward off unwanted pests. And because it’s essential oils formula, you can use it safely around kids and pets.
The Tomcat granules feature a rain-resistant formula, so you can rest assured that the repellent will stay in place, even in wet weather. It is an excellent feature if you live in a climate where it often rains, as it will help ensure that the repellent continues to work effectively.
One of the benefits of the Tomcat rat repellent is that they have a no-stink formula. It means you won’t have to worry about the repellent emitting an unpleasant smell, which can be a problem with some other products.
I’ve been using Tomcat Rodent Repellent Granules for a few weeks now, and I have to say, it works wonders. I used to see rat droppings all around my pool equipment and on the fence around my yard, but not anymore.
I love that this product is safe for my dogs to be around. It has a light peppermint smell that isn’t at all toxic. We’ve had three heavy spots of rain since spraying the yard, and still no rat droppings.
How Does It Work
- Tomcat rodent repellent granules work by emitting a scent that rodents find offensive.
- The repellent is effective in both outdoor and indoor settings, making it a versatile option for homeowners.
- The granules are also pet- and child-friendly, making them a safe option for families.
How to Use
To use Tomcat rodent repellent granules, sprinkle them around the perimeter of your home or in areas where rodents are known to frequent. For best results, reapply the granules every two weeks or as needed. If you have a severe rodent problem, you may need to use the granules more frequently.
When it comes to the effectiveness of repellents, it is essential to follow the directions for use on the rat repellent’s packaging.
Reapply rat repellent periodically as directed. Shake liquids to ensure the proper mixing of working active ingredients.
Tomcat rodent repellent granules are an effective and safe way to keep rodents away from your home. If you have a severe rodent problem, you may need to use the granules more frequently, but they are otherwise easy to use and pose no threat to pets or children. Give them a try today!
- Long-lasting formula.
- No stink.
- Safe for kids and pets.
- May not be effective for severe rodent problems.
- Reapply every two weeks or as needed.
2. – The Best Outdoor Rat Repellent for Your Garden (People’s Choice)
You need an excellent repellent if you have a problem with rats in your garden. I’ve been testing different repellents for the past few months, and I’ve found that the Bonide Repels-All granules are the best. They’re easy to use, they’re practical, and they’re safe for both humans and animals.
The Bonide Repels-All contains three active ingredients: putrescent whole egg solids, cloves, and garlic oil. These ingredients work together to deter rats from entering your garden. The putrescent whole egg solids are a powerful attractant for rats, while the cloves and garlic oil create a burning sensation. When rats eat the granules, they experience an intense burning sensation in their mouths. It deters them from returning for more and makes them think twice about entering your garden in the first place.
I’ve found that the granules are most effective when scattered around your garden’s perimeter. I also like to put some in my flower beds and near areas where I’ve seen rats.
If you have a severe rat problem, you may need to use more than one type of repellent. Bonide also makes a liquid repellent from the same ingredients as the granules. You can use it to spray your plants, trees, and shrubs.
I’ve found that the Bonide products are some of the best on the market. They’re affordable, they work well, and they’re safe for both humans and animals. If you have a rat problem, I recommend trying the Bonide Repels-All Repellent.
- The ingredients are all-natural.
- Won’t leave any harmful residue behind.
- Safe for both humans and animals.
- May not be effective for severe rat infestations.
- This could cause rats to become more cautious around humans and gardens.
- Biodegradable ingredients may not be as effective as other repellents.
Victor Rat-A-Way Granules is an excellent option if you’re looking for a safe, non-toxic rat repellent to keep your garden free of unwanted pests. The all-natural ingredients are biodegradable and environmentally friendly, making them safe for use around people and pets. Plus, the active ingredients effectively repel rats and mice without using harsh chemicals or poisons.
No need for dangerous best rat poison products, best rat traps, or chemicals. Now you can naturally solve your rat issue. Due to the blend of herbal ingredients rats will quickly learn to stay away from such areas humanely.
Rat-A-Way also uses recycled paper and essential oils in their product, which makes it 100% biodegradable. It means that it will not harm the environment and can be safely used around pets and people. So if you’re looking for an environmentally friendly rat repellent, Rat-A-Way is an excellent option.
How Does It Work
- Rat-A-Way is a rat and mouse repellent that uses natural ingredients to keep rodents away.
- The granules are scattered around the perimeter of your home and garden to create a barrier that rats and mice will not cross.
- The repellent is also safe for use around children and pets.
- Rat-A-Way has been proven to be effective in keeping rodents away from homes and gardens.
How to Use
- Start by shaking the container well to mix the ingredients.
- Next, open the lid and sprinkle the granules around the perimeter of your home and garden, making sure to avoid any contact with the product itself.
- You can also use a spreader or shovel to help distribute the granules evenly.
- For best results, reapply the repellent every two weeks.
- Safe and non-toxic.
- Environmentally friendly.
- 100% biodegradable.
- Effective in keeping rodents away.
- May not be effective for all types of rats.
- Not safe for contact with skin.
- Must be reapplied every two weeks.
4. – The Best ECO-Friendly Outdoor Rat Repellent Spray
So if you’re looking for a safe and reliable rat repellent for your garden, I highly recommend using the Exterminator’s Choice Small Rodent Defense Spray.
Exterminator’s Choice uses natural ingredients like peppermint and rosemary oil to keep rodents away without using harmful chemicals. And it’s non-staining, so you don’t have to worry about it leaving any marks on your plants or furniture. Plus, it’s made in the USA!
Exterminator’s Choice spray also contains no pyrethrins, permethrins, or pyrethroids, so you can feel confident using it around your family and pets.
How Does It Work
The Exterminator’s Choice repellent comes in a convenient spray bottle, which is easy to use. You can spray the repellent around the perimeter of your home or garden to keep rats away. Spraying the repellent in areas where rats are known to frequent, such as near trash cans or sheds, is also recommended.
When used in conjunction with other forms of rat control, such as traps or poison, Exterminator’s Choice spray can be a very effective way to get rid of rats.
How to Use
Shake well and apply to plants, trash cans, cracks, or openings around the foundation of houses/structures, sheds, garages, etc. The product effectively protects yards, gardens, attics, patios, basements, woodpiles, and other areas.
- Safe and reliable.
- Uses natural ingredients.
- Made in the USA.
- The spray might not be as effective as other rat repellents.
- The spray can be harmful to pets and children if they come in contact with it.
- The spray may leave marks on furniture or plants.
I’m a big fan of Shake-Away Rodent Repellent Granules because of their active ingredients – 1% spearmint oil, 1% peppermint oil, 0.5% rosemary oil, and 0.5% cedar oil. These oils are organic and non-toxic, which is excellent for use in the garden or lawn.
It’s all-natural and organic, made with essential oils that rats hate the smell of. And it really works – I’ve used it in my garden and have seen a noticeable decrease in the rat population.
Those who don’t want to deal with dead rats in walls or in attics can use Shake-Away rat repellent with a unique non-toxic formula that safely repels rats. This 100% organic product uses a predator scent in the form of urine granules. When rats detect the smell of predators, they leave and avoid the treated area. Let the power of the predator work in your yard, lawn, or garden, and you will see the results.
How to Use
- Shake-Away Rodent Repellent Granules is easy to use; simply sprinkle the granules around the perimeter of your garden and they will work to keep rats away.
- The granules are long-lasting and will continue to work for up to three months, so you can rest assured that your garden will be rat-free for a while.
- Shake-Away Rodent Repellent Granules is an affordable rat repellent that is safe for both people and pets.
- Organic and non-toxic.
- Long-lasting formula.
- Won’t burn or harm your trees, plants, or bushes.
- The granules are long-lasting, but they may not be effective for up to three months.
- The product is affordable, but it could be more expensive than other rat repellents.
What is the Best Outdoor Rat Repellent for Garden in 2023? – Your Expert Buyer’s Guide
Dealing with rat infestation can be incredibly frustrating. These rodents gnaw holes in bags and boxes, scurry through the walls of your home, leave feces, and damage your garden.
Getting rid of messy rats after they have already invaded your property can feel like an uphill battle. Moreover, traditional methods of rat removal are often unsafe and inhumane. However, you can discourage rats by using harmless natural repellents. You will quickly drive them away by disturbing rats’ noses with powerful scent and taste deterrents. Let’s focus on the best ways you could go.
What Is a Rat and Why Do I Need to Repel Them from My Garden?
Rats are small mammals with long tails. They often live near humans, as they can find all the food and shelter they need in our homes and gardens.
There are two main types of rats that you might encounter:
- Roof rats (also called black rats) have black or dark brown fur and typically live in trees, attics, and roofs.
- Norway rats (also called brown rats) have grayish-brown fur and tend to live on the ground in burrows.
These rodents are considered pests because they spread disease, contaminate food, damage property, and generally make a nuisance of themselves. If you suspect a rat problem, taking action quickly is essential.
The good news is that several effective rat repellents on the market can help you get rid of these pests for good. This article reviewed the five best rat repellents for garden use in 2023.
How to Prevent Messy Rat Infestation in Your Garden
Prevention is the key to making rats an issue you’ll never have to face.
Rat control outdoors should involve such components:
- Remove food sources,
- Remove shelter,
- Keep landscaping well-trimmed,
- Plant deterrents.
The Best Rat Repellents for Gardens
When choosing a rat repellent, you’ll want to consider a few factors, including:
- The type of rat you’re dealing with.
- The size of your garden.
- Your budget.
The Most Effective Repellent Plants That Repel Rats
Spending time in your yard or garden should be free from rat terror, but this is not always the case. Repellent plants and flowers are a great solution to make away with messy rats in your garden.
Ensuring your garden is barren will deter these rodents.
Here are the most effective repellent plants that can be used to crack your rat problem:
Although peppermint has a good and pleasant aroma to most of us, rats dislike the smell. If you have a rat issue in your garden, I suggest planting peppermint trees. Growing these plants/trees in your garden is an excellent strategy to keep rats from chewing up other plants they may find tastier. If you can’t plant peppermint on your property, then peppermint oil will work just as well.
The plant has a potent smell which we love, but rats can’t stand. Spearmint effectively drives these rodents up the wall. Planting spearmint as a natural barrier around your property will not only deter rats but also keep other destructive pets out.
- Balsam Fir
Rats hate the odor from the needles of the balsam fir tree. Therefore getting rid of mess rats is much easier if you have this tree on your property.
This common-in-the-western-parts-of-the-U.S. shrub has a potent, spicy scent that effectively repels rats. You can use the leaves of this shrub to repel rats. But if you don’t have access to them, then use sagebrush oil which also works great to repel pesky rodents.
- Daffodils and Hyacinth
Planting these herbs around your garden has also been known to keep pesky rats at bay.
Herbs like black pepper, oregano, and cayenne is another good alternative to repelling rats. You can sprinkle herbs on plants, soil, doorway crevices, and entry points/cracks around the house. A strong smell of the herbs will surely protect the area against these critters.
How to Kill Destructive Rats Naturally
Want to kill these critters in a natural way? Use the following:
Dip cotton balls in available-on-the-market peppermint oil. Then place the solution near rats’ cracks or holes. The smell of the mint will kill them.
What to buy: Peppermint Oil by Pure Body Naturals – safe and non-toxic repellent that is perfect to use around the home and garden. Effectively repels undesirable rats.When it comes to repelling rats patience is a key.
Although most rat repellents work quickly, it may take a couple of interactions for destructive rats to associate the unpleasant irritation with the treated area.
Sprinkle pepper near the holes. The pungent smell will make rats unable to breathe. And they will die.
- Bay Leaf
To kill messy rats naturally, place bay leaves in problem areas. Rats will choke on the bay leaf, thus killing them.
Great Home Remedies
To make this effective repellent you need:
- 2 cups of ammonia,
- A quarter glass of water,
- two spoons of detergent.
Mix everything in a bowl and place the solution in places where rats appear frequently. The remedy will surely work since these critters can’t stand the ammonia smell.
Rat repellents are chemicals that can prevent rats from feeding or gnawing by odor or taste or possibly by both. You may use such repellents in protecting the location from rat infestation or in protecting electric cables or other vulnerable materials.
- Special oils
There are certain flavors and scents like cloves, citronella, cinnamon, peppermint, and ammonia – rats don’t like. Make use of these scents to repel rats. Purchase oils of citronella, cayenne, peppermint, or cinnamon. Soak cotton balls with the liquid and leave them in high rat-traffic locations.
- Hot Pepper Solution
For making Hot Pepper repellent spray, you are to add ¼ cup of dish soap and one tablespoon of hot sauce to the bucket filled with one gallon of water. Stir the ingredients and transfer a portion of this magic solution into an empty spray bottle. Use this hot pepper solution on the floors, walls, countertops, and other areas where messy rats have been known to go.
Harmless natural repellents will help you to discourage pesky rats. Note that you must apply rat repellents at the first signs of rat damage to prevent rats from developing destructive habits that are often difficult to break.
How to Use Rat Repellents in Your Garden
You’ll need to use your rat repellent correctly to get the best results.
Here are a few tips:
- Read the instructions carefully before using any products.
- Apply the repellent as directed.
- Be sure to reapply the repellent according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- If you have pets, make sure that the product you choose is safe for them.
With a little effort, you can keep rats out of your garden for good. Using an effective repellent, you can enjoy your outdoor space without worrying about pesky pests. Try one of the products on our list and see for yourself!
Which Rat Repellent Is the Best for Me?
When it comes to rat repellents, there are a lot of options on the market. But which one is the best for your home and garden? After talking to homeowners around the country, I’ve found Tomcat Rodent Repellent Granules, Bonide Repels-All Granules, Victor Rat-A-Way Granules, Exterminator’s Choice Spray, and Shake-Away Rodent Repellent Granules are among the most popular and effective products on the market.
- Keep rats away from your property.
- Popular and effective products.
- Easy way to get rid of rodents.
If you’re looking for an easy way to keep rats away from your property, any of these five rat repellents should do the trick.
FAQs about Rat Repellents
Rats are pests that not only destroy your plants but also carry diseases. If you have rats in your garden, the best way to get rid of them is by using a rat repellent. But what do rats hate in the garden?
There are many things that rats hate in the garden, such as:
- The smell of predators: Rats are afraid of predators, such as foxes, owls, and snakes. When they smell these animals, they will stay away from your garden.
- Peppermint: Peppermint is a natural rat repellent because it has a strong smell that rats don't like. You can plant peppermint around your garden or use essential oils to keep rats away.
- Garlic: Garlic is another natural rat repellent that you can plant around your garden.
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits, such as lemons and oranges, have a strong smell that rats don't like. You can use the peels of these fruits to repel rats.
- Coffee grounds: Coffee grounds are also effective in repelling rats because of their strong smell.
You may have noticed some little furry visitors scurrying around your backyard, and now you're wondering how to keep rats away from your garden. You can do a few things to deter these pesky critters, and we've outlined the top five options below.
- 1. One simple way to keep rats away is to remove any potential food sources that might be attracting them. It means keeping your garbage cans tightly sealed and regularly cleaning up fallen fruit or nuts from trees. You should also avoid leaving pet food outside, as this is a major attractant for rats.
- 2. If you have a rat problem that you can't seem to solve, there are several commercial repellents available that can help. These products typically contain either ultrasonic sound waves or strong smells that rats find unpleasant, and they can be effective at keeping them away from your property.
- 3. Another way to keep rats away is to make your backyard less appealing by removing places where they can hide. Cut back overgrown bushes and keep your lawn trimmed short, as rats love to nest in these areas. You should also remove any piles of wood or debris that might be providing shelter for them.
- 4. Trapping is another option for getting rid of rats, and it can be very effective if done correctly. There are many types of traps available, so be sure to do some research before choosing one. Once you have a trap set up, baited with something like peanut butter, you must wait for a rat to spring it.
- 5. If you're looking for a more permanent solution, you can always try to discourage rats from entering your property in the first place by making some changes to the exterior of your home. Seal up any cracks or holes they might be able to squeeze through and install weather stripping around doors and windows. You should also keep trees and shrubs trimmed back from your house, as rats love climbing them to access rooflines.
Following these tips can deter rats from setting up shop in your backyard and enjoy your outdoor space pest-free!
There are a few things that rats find irresistible in a garden.
- They love nothing more than a good food source, and your veggie patch is the perfect buffet for them.
- Rats will also build their nests in piles of wood or debris, so if your garden is full of clutter, it's time to do some decluttering.
- Lastly, rats are attracted to water, so if you have a pond or birdbath in your garden, they'll be sure to make themselves at home there.
You might be surprised to learn that vinegar is one of the best rat repellents. Vinegar is a natural substance that rats are repelled by, so it's definitely worth a try if you're looking for a way to keep them out of your garden. Simply soak some rags in vinegar and place them around the perimeter of your garden. You can also add a few drops of vinegar to your plants' water dishes.
- If you're looking for a more permanent solution, you can also try installing a motion-activated sprinkler system. These systems are designed to deter animals from entering your property and are relatively inexpensive. Just ensure to position the sprinklers to point towards your garden rather than away from it.
- Another option is to build a fence around your garden. This will obviously take some time and effort, but it's worth it if you want to keep rats out for good. Just ensure the fence is at least three feet tall and that there are no gaps or holes the rats could squeeze through.
- Finally, you can also try using rat traps. These are typically baited with food, so the rats attract them. Once they enter the trap, they'll be caught, and you can then release them far away from your property. Just be sure to check the traps regularly so that you can remove any dead rats.
So, there are a few of the best rat repellents for your garden. Try one of these methods and see if it works for you. Good luck!
The short answer is yes; plenty of rat repellent sprays are available on the market. But before you go and buy the first one you see, there are a few things you should know. In this blog post, I looked at the best rat repellent for garden use in 2023 and shared some tips on keeping rats away from your property for good.
Table of Contents
- Here are the Top 5 Best Rat Repellents for Garden You Can Buy in 2023
- 5 Best Rat Repellents for Garden Reviewed
- 1. Tomcat Rodent Repellent Granules – The Best Kids & Pets Safe Natural Rat Repellent (Editor’s Choice)
- 2. Bonide Repels-All Animal Repellent Granules – The Best Outdoor Rat Repellent for Your Garden (People’s Choice)
- 3. Victor Rat-A-Way Rat and Mouse Repellent Granules
- 4. Exterminator’s Choice Small Rodent Defense Spray – The Best ECO-Friendly Outdoor Rat Repellent Spray
- 5. Shake-Away Rodent Repellent Granules
- What is the Best Outdoor Rat Repellent for Garden in 2023? – Your Expert Buyer’s Guide
- Which Rat Repellent Is the Best for Me?
- FAQs about Rat Repellents
You can find further details of Rats Control here.