Human Repellents to Repel Rats: Commercial products, plants and DIY solutions
Dealing with rat infestation can be an incredibly frustrating. These rodents gnaw holes in bags and boxes, scurry through the walls of your home, leave feces and damage your garden.
Getting rid of messy rats after they have already invaded your property can feel like an uphill battle. What’s more traditional methods of rat removal are often unsafe and inhumane. However you can discourage rats by using harmless natural repellents. By disturbing rats’ noses with powerful scent and taste deterrents, you will quickly drive them away. Let’s focus on the best ways you could go.
Table of Contents
How to prevent messy rat infestation in your garden
Prevention is the key to make rats an issue you’ll never have to face.
Rat control outdoors should involve such components:
- Remove food sources,
- Remove shelter,
- Keep landscaping well-trimmed,
- Plant deterrents.
The most effective repellent plants that repel rats
Spending time in your yard or garden should be free from rat terror but this is not always the case. Repellent plants and flowers are a great solution to make away with messy rats in your garden.
Ensuring your garden is inhospitable will deter these rodents.
Here are the most effective repellent plants that can be used to crack your rat problem:
Although peppermint has a good and pleasant aroma to most of us, rats dislike the smell. If you have rat issue in your garden, we suggest planting peppermint trees. Planting these plants/trees in your garden is a good strategy to keep rats from chewing up other plants they may find tastier. If you can’t plant peppermint on your property, then peppermint oil will work just as well.
The plant has a very powerful smell which we love but rats can’t stand. Spearmint effectively drives these rodents up the wall. Planting spearmint as a natural barrier around your property will not only deter rats but also keep other destructive pets out.
- Balsam Fir
Rats hate an odor from the needles of the balsam fir tree. Therefore getting rid of mess rats is much easier if you have this tree on your property.
This common-in-the-western-parts-of-the-U.S. shrub has a very powerful, pungent scent which effectively repels rats. You can use leaves of this shrub to repel rats. But if you don’t have access to them then use sagebrush oil which also works great to repel pesky rodents.
- Daffodils and Hyacinth
Planting these herbs around your garden has also been known to keep pesky rats at bay.
Using herbs – like black pepper, oregano and cayenne – is another good alternative in repelling rats. You can sprinkle herbs on plants, soil, doorway crevices and in entry points/cracks around the house. A strong smell of the herbs will surely protect the area against these critters.
Top 7 rat products
There are many commercially produced rat repellents that can be sprayed in strategic spots of your garden or lawn as well as in other parts of your property. Such products taste terrible to rats and they learn to leave the treated locations.
Here is what you can buy:
- DeTour for rodents – special bio-repellent that effectively irritates pesky rats and mice. Once these rodents come into contact with this repellent, they will do everything to exit the treated area. With DeTour you can create barriers around barns, structures and other sensitive areas.
Cost: $29.50 for 10 oz.
Where to use: in areas where rats may enter – such as sides of doors; on holes, pipes, window sills, crevices, electrical conduits, under counters.
- Shake Away – really effective, natural and easy-to-use rat repellent. Those who don’t want to deal with dead rats in walls or in attics can use Shake Away rat repellent with special non-toxic formula that safely repel rats. This 100% organic product uses predator scent in the form of the urine granules. When rats detect the scent of predators, they leave and avoid the treated area. Let the power of the predator work in your yard, lawn or garden and you will see the results.
Benefits: the product won’t burn or harm your trees, plants or bushes.
Pest Repellets by Huma.ne – natural repellent diatomaceous earth granules infused with cinnamon, cedar, cove, citric, mint, rosemary and lemongrass. The product is safe for you and your kids.
How to use: spread granules on areas of your yard. Repellents remain effective for up to 1 year in any weather to deter rats.Important
When it comes to the effectiveness of repellents, it is important to follow the directions for use on the rat repellent’s packaging.
Reapply rat repellents – liquid or granular – periodically as directed. Shake liquids to ensure the proper mixing of working active ingredients.
- Rat Magic by Bonide – naturally drives rats from homes, patios, garages, sheds, etc. Rat Magic granules irritate eyes respiration of rats. Due to its natural ingredients Rat Magic provides weeks of repelling action.
- Nature’s Defense Granular repellent – effectively repels rats with safe, natural herbal ingredients. No need for dangerous poisons, traps or chemicals. Now you can solve your rat issue in a natural way. Due to the blend of herbal ingredients rats will quickly learn to stay away from such areas humanely.
Cost: $186.20 for 50lbs.
Benefits: granules are less messy than gels or liquids. Nature’s Defense formula won’t wash away quickly with rain.
- Repels-All Granules by Bonide – repels rats and other nuisance critters from planting areas, gardens and yards. The product consists of unique mixture of active ingredients that cause an irritation to rat’s nasal passages. When destructive rat smells touches or tastes Repels-All, the solution triggers the natural rat’s instinct to avoid and leave the place. The product is natural and won’t harm the animals.
How it works: Granules repel rats through taste, smells and irritation of nose and eyes.
- Expel Animal Repellent – non-toxic, natural product that consists of bio-degradable ingredients. This repellent offers a working formula that immediately irritates rats’ sense of smell and taste. After a couple of visits rats associate the sensation with your yard or garden and learn to avoid the area.
Benefits: The product doesn’t use harmful and toxic chemicals and is completely eco-friendly and safe to use around your plants and home.
How to use the product: Shake well and apply to plants, trash cans, cracks or openings around the foundation of houses/structures, sheds, garage etc. The product effectively protects yards, gardens, attics, patios, basements, wood piles and other areas.
How to kill destructive rats naturally
Want to kill these critters in a natural way? Use the following:
Dip cotton balls in available-on-the-market peppermint oil. Then place the solution near rats’ cracks or holes. The smell of the mint will kill them.
What to buy: Peppermint Oil by Pure Body Naturals – safe and non-toxic repellent that is perfect to use around the home and garden. Effectively repels undesirable rats.
When it comes to repelling rats patience is a key.
Although most rat repellents work quickly it may take a couple of interactions for destructive rats to associate the unpleasant irritation with the treated area.
Sprinkle pepper near the holes. The pungent smell will make rats unable to breathe. And they will die.
- Bay Leaf
To kill messy rats in a natural way, place bay leafs in problem areas. Rats will choke on the bay leaf, thus killing them.
Great home remedies
To make this effective repellent you need:
- 2 cups of ammonia,
- A quarter glass of water,
- two spoons of detergent.
Mix everything in a bowl and place the solution in places where rats appear frequently. The remedy will surely do the job, since these critters can’t stand the smell of ammonia.
Rat repellents are chemicals which by odor or taste or possibly by both can prevent rats from feeding or gnawing. Such repellents may be used in protecting location from rat infestation or in protecting electric cables or other vulnerable materials.
- Special oils
There are certain flavors and scents like cloves, citronella, cinnamon, peppermint, and ammonia – rats don’t like. Make use of these scents to repel rats. Purchase oils of citronella, cayenne, peppermint or cinnamon. Soak cotton balls with the liquid and leave in high rat-traffic locations.
- Hot Pepper Solution
For making Hot Pepper repellent spray you are to add ¼ cup dish soap and 1 tablespoon of hot sauce to the bucket filled with one gallon of water. Stir the ingredients and transfer a portion of this magic solution into some empty spray bottle. Use this hot pepper solution on the floors, walls, countertops and other areas where messy rats have been known to go.
Harmless natural repellents will help you to discourage pesky rats. Note rat repellents must be applied at the very first signs of rat damage to prevent rats from developing destructive habits that are often difficult to break.
You can find further details of Rats Control here.