Best Natural Repellents to Keep Chipmunks Away
Here are my 3 favorite chipmunk repellents:
Top 3 Best Chipmunk Repellents in 2022 Comparison Table
Our Top Pick
Chipmunks are some of the cutest creatures out there! They’re like little furry teddy bears who live in your yard. But they can also be quite destructive, and many homeowners would prefer them to stay off their property. If you’ve ever had problems with chipmunks (or other rodents), then this post is for you!
We review 3 of the best repellents that will keep those pesky critters away from your garden, cars, or wherever else they might be bothering you. You don’t have to spend a fortune on expensive traps or poisons when these products work just as well – and better yet, they won’t hurt any animals!
But first things first: if you do have chipmunks visiting your yard, then you should know that there are two types of chipmunks. There are the tree or Eastern chipmunks, which only live in North America. These guys are pretty small – about 7 to 10 inches long with a tail of 4 to 5 inches – and their fur is mostly grayish-brown with reddish hues on the sides of their heads and shoulders.
On the other hand, you have a ground or Western chipmunks, which are found both in North America as well as Asia. They’re slightly larger than tree chipmunks at around 8 to 12 inches long with tails that can be 5 to 6 inches long. Their fur is light brown with reddish tints on the face, across the shoulders, and at the base of the tail.
Top 3 Best Chipmunk Repellents Reviewed
After much research, some products stand out more than others. And the winner is Bonide Repels-All Animal Repellent Concentrate.
1. – Best Chipmunk Repellent Spray for Cars and Your Yard (Editor’s Choice)
Bonide Repels-All Concentrate is the best chipmunk repellent spray for your yard and car. This product has two features that make it stand out from other products: active ingredients and lasting power. The active ingredient in this product is 2.52% putrescent whole egg solids, 0.12% cloves, 0.06% garlic oil; these ingredients will last up to 2 months without reapplication or supervision by a homeowner!
This product also does not require any sort of pet or children’s play area supervision because it is safe for animals too! There are no harmful chemicals in Bonide Repels-All Animal Repellent; you can feel confident spraying it anywhere in your home. This repellent is also very affordable, and you do not need to use a lot of it because its effects will last for about two months!
The first thing I noticed when I started using this product was that the smell isn’t too bad. I’ve been putting off buying a chipmunk repellent spray specifically because most of them have stinky smells. When you’re buying a spray designed to keep pests out of places you don’t want them or away from things you don’t want to be ruined, the fact that the smell is tolerable makes me feel much more confident using it around my pets and children. Bonide Repels-All Concentrate has a scent that is more like cloves and spices, as opposed to the fish smell of other repellent sprays.
This product also keeps chipmunks out of my yard for about two months before I have to re-apply it. For all of these reasons, this product is the best chipmunk repellent spray that keeps rodents away from your yard and car!
- Keeps chipmunks out of your yard for about two months before you have to re-apply it.
- The biodegradable formula that doesn’t harm the environment.
- Made with 100% natural ingredients, so it’s safe for your family and pets!
- It’s simple to prepare – the product mixes with water and may be used with a trigger spray bottle or a pressure tank sprayer.
How Does It Work
Part of the problem with animal repellents is that you have to keep reapplying them to keep pests away. With Bonide Repels-All Concentrate, this won’t be a concern! This product will last 2 months with just one application, so you don’t have to worry about keeping track of when you applied the spray or how often it needs to be reapplied.
With most other backyard repellents, sometimes animals can get through the perimeter set up by the scent. However, because this product is made with clove oil and garlic oil, which are both materials that chipmunks dislike, they won’t be able to enter your yard when this repellent is used.
One of the things I love about Bonide Repels-All is that there are no harmful chemicals in this product, which means that it’s safe to use anywhere in your home – even if you have children or pets!
How to Use
- Be sure to mix the product with water before using it. For best results, you should use 1 part concentrate solution to 7 parts water (For example, if you’re using a 32 oz container, you should fill it with 4 fluid ounces of concentrate solution and then pour 28 oz of water into the container). You may also use a trigger spray bottle or pressure tank to apply the mixture.
- Shake your container well before each application because the ingredients may separate during storage. The solution should be evenly mixed, which will ensure that it’s always effective when you use it!
- Spray this product on areas around your yard (5 ft away from your foundation), trees, and plants where chipmunks like to burrow, run, or sit. Also, make sure to spray objects such as woodpiles or other debris near your home too because chipmunks like to chew on them! You should reapply every 7-10 day interval for best results!
- Pay attention to any holes in your yard that chipmunks might enter through and spray those areas with this repellent too.
- Keeps chipmunks out of your yard for about 2 months before you have to re-apply it.
- This product has a fresher smell than other sprays.
- It doesn’t have to dry before being applied so you can use it quickly without worry.
- Some reviews mention that it didn’t completely work to stop animals from entering their property even after repeated applications, but this may depend on the animal in question or how well you apply the solution onto your yard/building.
If you’re looking for a green chipmunk repellent or if you want to use an animal repellent that is safe enough to be used near children and pets, then Bonide Repels-All Concentrate should be your top pick because it works well and also has no harmful chemicals in its mix either. If you don’t like having to buy a new animal spray every month or so, you’ll appreciate the long-lasting effects of this product.
2. – Best Sonic Chipmunk Outdoor Repellent (People’s Choice)
Are you tired of chipmunks wreaking havoc in your yard? Have you tried other methods to get rid of them but nothing seems to work? If so, to protect your yard from chipmunks, you need a repellent that is effective and doesn’t require a lot of effort. The Thanos Solar Repeller Stakes is just that.
With this product, you can keep these pesky creatures away without having to do much work at all! It’s so easy to use- simply place the stakes in your yard or garden about 60 ft apart from one another and let the solar rechargeable battery do its job. You don’t want wildlife to wreak havoc on your garden, so switch to the Thanos Solar Repeller.
- Protect your lawn, garden, and vegetables from chipmunks.
- No need to change the battery.
- Keep your garden free of pesky animals 7 days a week and 24 hours a day.
- Spend less time weeding and more time enjoying your garden.
How It Works
The repellent works when it emits high-frequency sounds that are unbearable or irritating for chipmunks. Since chipmunks are territorial creatures, these sounds will disturb them enough to leave the area and intimidate other critters from entering.
It sends out 2-4 seconds of ultrasonic tones every 30 seconds which repels these animals without causing harm to them or any pets nearby.
Recommendations for Best Results
- The repeller should be placed in an open area away from other objects.
- Place it outdoors, ideally near the areas you want to protect.
- The ultrasonic sound waves are best received if the device is within 30 feet of the animal.
- Repelling chipmunks can take time. You may see fewer of them as they gradually leave once the sounds upset their environment.
What We Think Is Good
- This solar-powered chipmunk repellent has four stakes which means you can cover more ground than most other models. Plus, these stakes are very lightweight and don’t take up a lot of storage space.
- This product can be difficult to set up as you have to place it exactly where you want the sound waves to go.
- Make sure that this device is always in direct sunlight for faster results.
- Doesn’t need a battery to work – this product is solar-powered.
- This repellent has 4 stakes which means you can cover more ground than most other models
- These stakes are very lightweight and don’t take up a lot of storage space
- Takes time to work – may see fewer chipmunks as they gradually leave the area once the sounds upset their environment
- Cannot be used in shade
To keep your yard free of these fuzzy creatures, use the Thanos Solar Repeller Stakes. Unlike most other repellents, this one is solar powered so it requires no electricity or batteries. It covers a wide range and emits high-frequency sounds that will send those pesky animals packing.
3. – Best Natural Chipmunk Repellent Granules for Garden
Chipmunks are one of the most common pests that people have in their yards. They will eat your plants, dig up your yard, and leave droppings everywhere they go. The worst part is there are very few natural ways to get rid of them! That’s why Tomcat has created a product with 100% natural ingredients that will help you keep these pesky animals away from your garden for good.
Unlike other repellents on the market, this one does not use foul odors or chemicals to try and scare chipmunks away but instead uses garlic which is known to repel rodents like chipmunks! No need for traps anymore when you can just sprinkle some granules around your yard and wait for it to work its magic!
- Stop squirrels and chipmunks from digging in your garden.
- Safe for children and pets.
- Easy to use: just flip the cap and broadcast where you need it.
- Keep your plants safe and enjoy looking at your smile in the mirror again.
How to Use
Tomcat is also quick and easy to use as it comes with hinged caps for super easy applications. Simply flip the lid and broadcast or spread the granules in desired areas.
You should reapply this every 2-3 weeks, or even more often if the weather is really bad. Or if there are lots of chipmunks. More frequent applications may be required during periods of heavy rain or intense animal pressure.
- The natural ingredients are safe for humans and pets.
- There are no foul odors, so your garden smells better.
- It is a long-lasting product that will keep chipmunks away from your garden for weeks.
- If you have an extremely bad infestation of chipmunks, this may not be enough to fix your problem.
- You will probably need more than just one or two bottles.
- They are also only able to repel chipmunks that are already in your yard.
What are the Best Chipmunk Repellent in 2022? – Your Expert Buyer’s Guide
People, who have ever experienced an invasion of chipmunks, know that these small and cute rodents can do lots of damage to their property.
Without a doubt, these creatures are cute when you see them in the woods but not when they are in your yard. There is a huge number of reasons why most homeowners want to make away with these animals. Chipmunks can eat pet food, flower bulbs and cause serious damage in the yard.
Fortunately, there are natural and safe repellents with which you can easily exclude them from your yard. In this article, we will provide you with beneficial information on how to keep chipmunks away using efficient chipmunk deterrents and repellents. Learn about effective products that are 100% natural and safe.
Shop carefully and buy products that are worth trying.
4 Tips for Preventing Chipmunks & Other Rodents
Here are a few tips and tricks to help keep chipmunks and other rodents at bay:
- Keep grass and bushes trimmed near entrances. Make sure nothing is blocking the holes or burrows where they might be entering your yard or garden, as this would give them easy access to your plants.
- Secure garbage bins by placing tight-fitting lids on them (and make sure you only put out garbage on garbage day!).
- Seal off any cracks or openings that might let mice into your house or garage; chipmunks will also use these routes if they can’t get into your home through regular doors and windows.
- Finally, make sure there aren’t any pet bowls outdoors – food left out will only attract rodents.
As you can see, chipmunks and other rodents can cause a lot of trouble for your property and your plants. But if you follow the above tips and use one of these effective repellents (like those mentioned above), you should be able to keep those pesky critters away!
Chipmunk Deterrent Effectiveness
There are many techniques to keep these little creatures out of your area. You can learn more about chipmunk control here.
When it comes to chipmunk deterrents, not all of them are safe and effective.
However, considering that most mothballs can poison the environment, using mothballs is not the best solution.
So, how to deter chipmunks with natural products? Below there is a list of the most effective deterrents that are working.
Best 3 Chipmunk Unattractive Plants
Chipmunks are a common problem for homeowners. They can cause damage to your property and garden, as well as carry diseases that can harm you or your pets.
The best way to keep these furry pests away from your yard is by planting unattractive plants around the perimeter of your home. These plants will make it too difficult for them to find food or shelter, so they’ll move on and leave you alone!
Here are 3 great choices for plants that will help deter chipmunks from entering your yard and wreaking havoc on all the hard work you’ve put into it.
1. Daffodil (Narcissus)
Planting narcissus flowers is a great strategy. Due to the toxic alkaloids and calcium-oxalate crystals of all the narcissus plants, most chipmunks can be easily repelled by them.
Don’t know what flowers to use for spring planting? Use daffodils (narcissus). In such a way, you will get your wants and needs met. Not only you will have a beautiful yard, but you will also avoid any problems that may be created by chipmunks.
2. French Marigold (Tagetes patula)
French marigold is another great choice for repelling chipmunks, but it’s also a beautiful flower that you can enjoy in your landscaping. You might have heard of this flower being used in gardens to deter deer or rabbits, and it does wonder for keeping away pesky chipmunks!
3. Grape Hyacinth (Muscari armeniacum)
Grape Hyacinth is one of the best plants you can use for keeping away pesky chipmunks. You get all three benefits when you plant it around your garden or home:
- It’s a beautiful, fragrant flower that you will enjoy.
- It acts as a natural repellent for chipmunks.
- Grape Hyacinth plants are available at many garden centers, easily accessible on the internet, or even in some grocery stores.
So when you are planning to make changes in your garden, choose any of these three plants to keep your family safe and your chipmunks away!
Solar Rotating Owls
Strike fear into chipmunks. These days many homeowners use solar rotating garden owls. This garden owl can turn its head or light up the eyes.
You can buy different types of owls. Some of them use batteries and some electricity or wind power for mowing the wings. Use an owl decoy and scare chipmunks away.
If you prefer trapping, read everything you need to know about the best chipmunk traps here.
Questions & Answers
The chances of this working are slim. Mothballs will not keep chipmunks away for more than a few hours and in most cases, they do nothing at all to bring relief.
But mothballs may scare away bears and other animals like skunks, coyotes, opossums, or raccoons with their strong odor. This isn't always a good idea because these animals might be beneficial to your yard; they can be useful predator species that help control pests such as squirrels and chipmunks and mice (rodents). It's best to stop using mothballs completely if you would like to encourage these predators into your yard.
Garlic has natural properties thought of as repellant against both small pests like ants and fleas, but also larger ones like chipmunks. So, you can make your repellant to keep these pesky critters away from wherever you choose to apply them.
No, you should not pour bleach in a chipmunk's hole. It can cause them to suffer from chlorine poisoning, and they may die. In the case that there are babies in the hole, it will also kill them.
There are a lot of ways that homeowners can choose to repel chipmunks from their yards and gardens. If you’re looking for something natural, Bonide Repels-All Concentrate may be the best option as they use garlic instead of foul odors or chemicals. They also last up to 3 weeks which means you don’t have to reapply every few days like some other products on the market.
Another product we recommend is Thanos Solar Repeller Stakes because they work without batteries and cover a wide area with high-frequency sounds. It will take time before customers see results but it’s worth waiting if this device doesn’t need electricity or batteries!
Table of Contents
- Top 3 Best Chipmunk Repellents in 2022 Comparison Table
- Top 3 Best Chipmunk Repellents Reviewed
- 1. Bonide Repels-All Animal Repellent Concentrate – Best Chipmunk Repellent Spray for Cars and Your Yard (Editor’s Choice)
- 2. Thanos Solar Repeller Stakes – Best Sonic Chipmunk Outdoor Repellent (People’s Choice)
- 3. Tomcat Animal Granular Repellent – Best Natural Chipmunk Repellent Granules for Garden
- What are the Best Chipmunk Repellent in 2022? – Your Expert Buyer’s Guide
- 4 Tips for Preventing Chipmunks & Other Rodents
- Chipmunk Deterrent Effectiveness
- Questions & Answers
You can find further details of Chipmunks Control here.