How to Eliminate Canny Rats with Efficient Trap Options
Rats are not just scary and creepy, they can cause a huge damage to your property. These rodents have strong jaw to chew not only through fabrics but also through plastic covered cables and wall coverings.
Wonder how to get rid of canny rats in your yard or interiors? Now you can effectively keep rats at bay with the help of traps. Whether you are after snap traps or are looking for electronic rat traps, you can find just what you are searching for in this article.
And if you don’t want to kill rats we suggest using live traps. This way or another, with our help you will trap rats without having to hire an expensive exterminator.
Table of Contents
Top 4 Tips on how to catch a rat
Rats are often a problem not only in rural communities where people store or grow their food but also in urban areas. While rat poison is dangerous to use, using rat traps is an effective way to exterminate a rat problem. Even if you are not a professional in trapping destructive rats, there are many easy-to-operate rat traps that will help you to resolve your rat problem.
Here is how to successfully catch the rat in your house and backyard:
- Choose the trap
First of all you are to choose between live and kill traps for rats. If you prefer live traps, note that they should be large enough so that rat fits inside.
When it comes to kill traps you may choose the following options:
- Snap traps,
- Poisonous glue traps,
- Electronic rodent traps.
- Determine rat trap placement
So what is the best location for the trap? As far as pesky rats prefer travelling along wires and walls and tend to use the same pathways, the best place for the trap – lethal or humane – is against a closest-to-the-damage wall.
Signs of damage include:
- Tooth marks on wood;
- Rat droppings;
- Rat tracks;
- Chewed wires;
- Holes in packaging or food;
- Grease marks on surfaces.
Place rat trap in places where you have seen the most rat damage or where this rodent frequents.
Bait the trap
The right rat bait and its proper positioning are important steps of a successful rat capture. Rats will avoid a trap carrying human scent. To avoid transferring human scent we recommend wearing gloves when baiting the trap.
The bait should be positioned in a way that will provoke a canny rodent to fully enter it. When it comes to bait selection, dried fruit, peanut butter or gumdrops will be great for both the roof rat and the Norwegian rat.Important
Wear gloves when handling a pesky rat to avoid any contact with this critter and prevent the spread of diseases and germs. Disinfect the trap that has been used with a bleach solution.
After rat removal, keep these rodents away by using natural ultrasonic repellents.
- Set the trap
Now it’s time to set the trap. Set the product by following its special instructions. Once the critter is trapped, it’s essential to remove it in a timely manner.
Rat traps that work: Safe and successful trapping
No one wants to deal with rats. But with a help of variety of weapons you can effectively battle them.
If you want to make the process of rat trapping efficient and safe, take a look at the following trapping options:
- Tomcat Glue Traps – specially formulated for successful rat control. The traps come in variety of styles.
Benefits: Tomcat traps don’t snap on hands therefore can be placed in a wider variety of places. What’s more, they are pesticide-free.
How to use: Open Tomcat package. Separate traps. Position Tomcat where rats travel. Dispose of trap and rat in trash.
- Tomcat Super hold Glue Traps – excellent traps that have super hold formula which gives superior rat catch and hold.
- Victor Rat Glue Board (24 traps) – provide effective pest control with no baiting or setting. The product is a great low-cost alternative to rat control products. The trap requires no setting – just position and catch.
Ideal for: areas like kitchen or garage.
Benefits: Victor traps can be used to release rats safely from the glue traps with a bit of oil. With Victor Glue traps you can save money on rat control and fight your rat infestation at economical price.
These popular traps are regarded to be the most effective options for those who want to remove rats in attic or walls.
Here are the most popular traps you can buy:
- Viktor Rat trap – original wood-based snap trap that provides instant rat control. Due to its super quality and effectiveness, the trap has become top one selling trap in the world. Viktor trap should be placed where rats travel.
- Metal Rat trap by made2catch – effective snap trap that captures and kills rats. The trap doesn’t require poisons and is safe to use around pets. It is durable and reusable – each trap can be reused.
- T-Rex rat trap – excellent solution that gives superior rat capture. Safer to-use and easy to set than current snap traps, T-rex trap can be placed directly in a rat bait station. You can use baits – like nuts or some peanut butter – in the trap to bait. Position the trap along walls, near baseboards or in places where rats are likely to travel.
- JT Eaton 410BULK Jawz Plastic Rat Trap – excellent snap trap made of durable plastic. The trap is really easy to set compared to wooden traps and can be set by foot or hand. When JT Eaton is properly set the red label indicates it is ready to go.
The key to successful rat removal is to use a great number of traps. As a rule, rat population is bigger than expected.
You may need more traps when trapping pesky critters.
Professional Rat Traps
- Nooski Rat Trap – great option to kill rats humanely and quickly. The product is really easy to use. It works by using rubber latex ring. When the rodent enters the trap the ring is released onto its neck/chest causing the critter to spring free of the Nooski trap and die quickly a few feet away.
Benefits: Unlike snap traps that may misfire, The Nooski trap is lethal every time.
- Victor Rat Trap (Electronic) – electronic product that kills rats in moments. The trap activates when a rodent touches the metal plates. The trap reduces rat escapes and offers a 90% rat kill rate. It is recommended to bait this electronic trap with peanut butter. When the critter is in the trap a green indicator gives signal for up to 24 hours.
- Rat Zapper Trap – safe and effective tool in your rat control arsenal. The trap is ideal for trapping and killing larger rats. Rat Zapper is more human than current snap traps.
How it works: The trap kills rat using a high-voltage shock.
Perfect for: garages, basements, attics and sheds.
How to use Rat Zapper:
- Insert batteries;
- Bait Rat Zapper – with peanut butter – along the back wall of the product;
- Place rat zapper along the wall;
- Flip the switch to on;
- Dump dead rat into the trash.
- Eliminator Trap – electronic rat control option that kills rats as humanely and quickly as possible. The trap works by emitting electric shock, which kills rat with virtually no pain to the animal and absolutely no mess.
Perfect for: factories, homes, commercial kitchens, warehouses.
Trapping is known as more human pest control than poisoning. When set properly the trap can kill the rat in a quick way.
Here is how to set Viktor snap traps:
When baiting Victor or any other snap traps, don’t use more bait. We suggest pressing a small amount of it into the bait pedal.
Remember, the more bait is used, the easier it is for rats to remove it without disturbing snap traps.
Live rat traps for human control
Unlike sticky rat traps or poisonous glue traps for bothersome rats, live traps enable homeowners to capture rats efficiently and humanely from your property.
Live Traps usually come in different sizes and are not only great for catching canny rats, but can also help you to remove smaller critters such as mice, voles and squirrels.
We suggest the following:
- Havahart one door trap (X-small) – a human tool for removal of rats from your yard or home. The trap ensures safe and quick trapping. The product is simple-to-operate even if you are not a professional trapper.
- Havahart one door trap (Easy-set-trap)
Trapping pesky rats has never been easier than with this excellent Set option. The trap is set in 1 simple step – easy and fast. The rat can be released with the help of lever while you stand away from the trap.
Havahart Two Door Trap (small) – designed by experts for the most efficient rat capture. The trap is strong, simple-to-operate and safe for you and for a rat.Rats tend to be really shy of new objects in their locations.
- Havahart Two Door Trap (Easy-set-trap) – humane trap that can be set in one simple step. Two trap doors can be easily set. The trapper doesn’t have to put his hands near either trap opening.
- Human Rat Trap by Atomic Barbie – human trap that can be used with any bait. The trap has innovative and easy-to-use design.
Top 2 Homemade rat traps that work
There are various products to catch pesky rats. However you can make a homemade trap which will be as effective as the one you buy.
Let’s see what you can do:
- Sticky traps
Glue traps are popular because of their low profile. They may be placed flush against the cabinet or wall, where pesky rats like to travel. Making an effective sticky trap cuts down on your rat control costs and provides you with a safe alternative to chemicals and poisons.
A sticky trap is made with a help of a special adhesive which is applied to the cardboard, board or plastic tray. And glue with a pleasant-to-rats flavor is applied to the centre of the trap.
No doubt, the best way to catch a canny rat with a sticky trap is by putting some bait – bacon or peanut butter – inside a circle of the trap. Rats will have to cross the tape to get the food and will be caught.
Catching rodents on such sticky tapes is very convenient. However it’s not recommended to put sticky traps outside because of humidity, dust or other natural conditions which can lead glue into improper state.
- A Bucket Rat Trap
For making this, you will need: Wire, A bucket (5galloon), 1 unopened can of liquid, Pliers, Bait.
- Drill 2 holes on opposite slides of the bucket.
- Use your drill or ice pick to bore a hole in the centre of the can lid.
- Skewer the can with wire.
- Center the can over the bucket.
- Pour about 6 inches of water in the bucket.
We suggest using peanut butter or dried fruits as bait for this trap. When the rat runs out to get the bait, the can will spin and the job is done.
The best rat trap
There is a huge number of ways to remove rats and one of the most efficient ones is to purchase the best rat trap a homeowner can get his hands on.
We suggest using the following:
Tomcat Rat Snap Trap – safe, effective and working option to remove pesky rats. The trap has many benefits like the one when you don’t have to worry about getting your fingers caught. The trap has aggressive and powerful design. You can set Tomcat by hand or foot.
How to use:
- Identify the area of rat activity.
- Move bait cup from the bottom of Tomcat trap. Place food – gumdrops/peanut butter or Tomcat Rat Attractant – in the bait and re-insert.
- Set Tomcat by compressing top portion to the bottom till it clicks into place.
- Position the trap perpendicular to the place – a wall or structure – where pesky critters like to travel.
How often to apply:
In case rat is not trapped in two or three days, position the trap in the location where pest rat activity is suspected.
Where to use:
Best way to catch a canny rat is to place the trap where rats travel – 25-100 ft. location between their nest and food source.
Where to buy
These days you can order different traps online. Most homeowners prefer to buy traps from Lowes or Walmart that have a wide variety of effective rat traps for successful rat removal. Fast delivery, low prices and quality service are great benefits of these retailers.
If you want to get the trap you need visit the following:
No doubt, all the traps work in different ways. Your task is to choose and purchase the one that will help you to fight annoying rats.
Some people prefer to choose rat exterminator companies when they have to deal with rat infestation. However, not everyone can afford this option. Buying special traps is often the way out. You can choose snap traps with effective trigger system or purchase live and electronic traps for safe and humane rat control. It’s up to you what choose.