What Cockroach Killer Is Best, Effective and Safe
Controlling roaches has always been very important. The first and foremost reason why they should be exterminated is that they are a health hazard. Knowing that, most of you go to the nearest store and buy pesticides that promise fast results and long-lasting effects. Do you know most of them are dangerous and cannot be used around children and pets? Are you aware of the fact they can cause serious health problems and even lead to a fatal outcome?
In the following article we are going to tell you both about safe and effective extermination methods, mentioning how to use the latter ones in a safe manner. Find out what you are to get before doing anything.
And remember: if there is something you’re not sure about or afraid of, you’d better contact professionals to avoid harsh consequences.
Table of Contents
What’s the Best Cockroach Killer?
Frankly speaking most solutions available on today’s market are pretty effective. The only problem is that they are falsely used and that’s why they have no effect. While looking for the best roach killer for home, you are to pay special attention to various baits.
Using cockroach killer baits you don’t have to touch chemicals and spread them around. Today this option is regarded to be one of the safest both for children and pets. In most cases baits are effective for up to 12 months. This fact makes them the longest lasting options available.
All you have to do is set the purchased traps around your place. FYI, there is only one critical drawback: the traps are pretty small and can become effective only in case of small or medium-sized cockroaches. When you are dealing with larger species, you’d better opt for another roach killer that works.
If you are looking for an alternative remedy, you should pay attention to boric acid. Today this is one of the most effective control agents. If used correctly, it ensures best results. As most people do not follow the simplest instructions, they fail in the process of elimination and state that boric acid leads to nothing else, but complete disappointment.
The spread powder sticks to the bodies of roaches and kills them as soon as they are trying to lick it off.
When combined with baits, boric acid is the most effective option.
As it has been mentioned, the key to success is correct application. You’d better apply the powder in a thin layer that is barely visible to the naked eye. Heavy accumulations are avoided by roaches as they don’t want to walk through a snow drift. Shake the container with a powder and puff a small quantity of it into the target area.
Spiders have always been lurking in our attics, but the time has come. Find out how to get rid of spiders for good.
Disgusted with the insect life in your kitchen, living room and bathroom? How to get rid of small roaches – here is all you need to know.
Starting Roach Extermination
Before you come to the extermination procedure, you’d better think of proper roach extermination preparation.
When you know what type of roaches you have in your flat, you know where to focus the inspecting efforts. The very first task is to find the source with the help of sticky traps.
There you will definitely find dead or living roaches, their skins, droppings and egg cases.
Fighting against roaches includes:
- Limitation of food sources. Pet and human food must be kept sealed in airtight containers. Never leave dirty dishes on counters or in sinks overnight. Make sure you sweep all crumbs off the counters and floors regularly, as well as take out all the trash at the end of the day.
- Limitation of water sources. Pay special attention to the areas of standing water, as they attract roaches as well. These may be puddles on kitchen or bathroom floors, water bowels for pets, etc. Empty them every evening. Some people even seal their faucets and drain pipes in old buildings that are prone to leaks. Even a slow drip underneath your washing machine or counter will soon create the environment that attracts roaches to settle in and build their families in there.
- Killing living creatures and their debris. In case you find living creatures there, you’d better use a vacuum cleaner to suck them all as well as their debris up. It is possible to find all their hiding places, if you enter a dark room at night and watch where they are running after you turn on the lights.
The roaches that sneak indoors will never make a permanent home there, unless there is plenty of food and water sources. In fact they can even survive without nutrients for a large period of time. This is the reason why it is of top importance to keep your place clean and tidy, so that it won’t attract cockroaches anymore.
What about roach extermination cost? Frankly speaking, things go pretty cheap if you manage the issue on your own. However, when there is nothing you can do about infestation, you hire a professional, whose work must be well-paid:
- Initial Services. An exterminator charges from $75 to $250 for initial service. The process may also include a follow-up service that comes with a 2-3 month’s warranty.
- Quarterly and Monthly Services. Most companies provide additional roach control services in case of pests’ reappearance. Some of them steer homeowners towards quarterly or monthly service contracts, $75-$125 and $30-$60 respectively.
- Commercial Needs. Roach extermination prices for commercial buildings are much higher. At times the cost reaches $500-$1,000 per one visit.
Are There Roach Poisons Safe for Pets and Humans?
To begin with, the majority of poisons available on the market aren’t strong to kill your pet, however, it should also be marked that some of them have ingredients that lead to minor/serious complications:
- Hydramethylnon. This is an active ingredient in many types of roach poison. This substance is harmless in small doses, but when it is eaten it causes gagging and vomiting.
- Chlorpyrifos. This very ingredient leads to stomach pain, vomiting, excessive drooling, uncontrollable urination and defecation.
Among the options of roach killers safe for pets we suggest Combat Platinum Roach Killing Gel. It is safe and isn’t placed in areas where your pet can get it.
Perhaps one of the greatest improvements to control these pests is the use of bait products that are sold in drug stores and hardware shops, home centers and discount stores, supermarkets and on the Internet.
Special insecticide baits are sold in small bait stations (containers). They are absolutely safe for the environment and trigger no adverse reactions in people or pets. Opt for slow acting baits that have sulfluramid, hydramethylnon, boric acid or fipronil.
Finding the Best Roach Killer Gel
It seems as if we’ve already discussed possible safe and effective solutions, still there are a few other options worth mentioning. One of them is cockroach killer gel. Most people choose Advion gel by DuPont. It is a very strong substance, and when it is used correctly, its results last up to several months.
The gel like this one should be applied to crevices and cracks. It doesn’t kill on contact. Besides, you don’t have to kill roaches either. To get the best results from the gel, allow the pests to share it with their colony.
Waiting till this cockroach killer paste starts working may be very irritating. In addition the paste may leave signs on the places where applied. However, this is the most effective variant.
Another possible alternative is petroleum jelly/vaseline. It is a live trap that cannot be escaped. All you have to do is rub jelly on the inside wall of a non-transparent glass. Place rotting food on it. The pests will climb for the food and water, but they won’t get out because of the jelly. Though it really works, the process is rather messy. This is why before using this method, you’d better weigh all pros and cons.
Read about how to get rid of carpet beetle larvae and have your house free from this pest.
Drains and sewers often give you a headache. Pests are lurking there too. How to get rid of sewer flies – read this to be warned.
Find out preventive means to keep away termites from your home. Drywood termite treatment http://pestkill.org/insect/insects/termites/ is the answer.
What else should you know? Well, it is important to mention that none of the methods mentioned above can be referred to as entirely foolproof. You must be very careful, when dealing with special baits, sprays, pastes, gels and other toxins to exterminate cockroaches.
If there is a pet or small children in your house, choose the method that is safe or put the pesticides in those places that aren’t accessible to little paws and hands. Keep in mind that a single-time treatment is effective for 2-3 months only. For better results it should be repeated several times. This is when complete extermination is guaranteed. However, when all your efforts are useless, call in professional help in order to avoid endangering those who are occupying the space.
You can find further details of Roaches Control here.