Knowing what carpenter bees are isn’t essential for the process of their elimination, is it? But knowing how to kill these insects is of top importance if you take care of the comfort of your house and the surroundings, of course.
If you are aiming at settling the things down, you are going to need the following information on how to get rid of all carpenter bees fast. We provide tips that work for those, who are in search of some easy ways, and those, who can afford spending time and money to know the problem’s solved.
And, though prevention is known for being the best cure, we don’t pay attention to the possible problem till the time comes. Let’s try to learn how not to make a couple of nests a true issue.
Getting Rid of Detrimental Carpenter Bees: Tips for Inside and Outside Elimination
Specialists state that all the existing methods can be subdivided into two large groups:
- physical ones,
- those that require insecticides.
Speaking of the first group, sealing is regarded to be a pretty popular solution. They seal the entrance hole to the nest of insects, believing this is the best way of how to get rid of carpenter bees fast around the house. The best option is sealing with a weather-resistant caulking compound, a wooden dowel that is securely fastened with wood glues or some steel wool. If there is a chance, one can fill the gallery that bees have excavated. That’s how they won’t get out and disturb the homeowner anymore.
Normally, carpenter bees build nests on unpainted softwood surfaces.
They can damage wooden surface in a cosmetic rather than structural way.
How can I get rid of carpenter bees on my deck with insecticides? If you are interested in this option, use liquid or dust sprays that have already proven their efficiency all over the world. Want to know more?
How to get rid of carpenter bees outside? A reliable way is dusting their nests. Here is the guidance for you:
- No buzzing. The very first step to take is eliminating adult males buzzing near nests and only then to start treating the holes. This can be easily done with the help of a quick knockdown spray (PT Wasp Freeze Aerosol).
- Right direction. The chosen aerosol must be directed into the holes in order to flush out and destroy all female bees.
- Applying the dust. Keep in mind that it must be applied with the help of a hand duster. Read the product label, apply the insecticide deep into the gallery using a Centrobulb Duster.
- Sealing nesting holes. Never seal them with larvae alive in the nest. It’s better to wait up to three months after the first application. This is important for making sure they all are dead.
Sealing before the required term, you risk to have additional problems: insects make new holes to escape.
So how can you get rid of carpenter bees in your house?
We suggest using a Chapin SureSpray 1 Gal Sprayer. First, apply the chosen insecticide to the wood surfaces that must be protected.
Looking for the best effect? Opt for Demon WP or Demand CS Insecticide. The first one is characterized by having a much higher concentration of chemicals. The possible drawback is the fact it leaves a messy residue. The second one is a clearer variant.
Products containing carbaryl, cyfluthrin and resmethrin are more suitable.
All types of bee killers can be used quite effectively. Today they are worth special attention as they manage to combine such important features as:
- easy use,
- fast and long lasting results.
If you’ve found the nest and are sure all the insects are in it, spray a good bit of the solution into it. Some of them will fly out, so do this twice to make sure.
How to get rid of carpenter bees without the need of killing them? This is probably not a good idea, but plugging up all the entrances using putty, cork and caulking compound can work. Plug all the holes and the entrance is going to be shut for months. Some homeowners use plugging only after the use of insecticides.
However, if you plug up too early, insects won’t pass through the insecticide dust.
Soon they will feel free to chew some new openings in other locations.
Why not vacuum them? This is a quite nice alternative, as well! It is addressed, if the nest is new and the bees that come to it in the evening are too slow to oppose. When the colony is small, you can wait outside the nest with a vacuum cleaner in your hands, pocking the nest with a stick.
How to Get Rid of Nasty Carpenter Bees Fast?
How do I get rid of carpenter bees, if all the above mentioned options were useless? This is not a common thing, but it occurs from place to place. Handling the task yourself is not as easy as it seems, and sometimes hiring someone to do it for you is a better alternative.
Just call a local exterminator to have the aim accomplished. Professionals will spray the nests and the entire yard, including inclusive structures.
How to Get Rid of All the Carpenter Bees Naturally: Some Home-Made Solutions to Work With
How do you get rid of bees naturally? The following home-made remedies are trustworthy, cheap, effective and safe for people and home pets. Read through and pick the one that will really work for you best:
- Painting your home. This works for carpenter bees infestation. If you paint your place and keep the paint in a nice condition, insects will not work with the wood covered with paint. What is the best paint? Polyurethane paints are the best defence.
- Almond oil. Pour some of it around and in the holes and nests. Bees can’t stand it, as it drives them away, discouraging from returning to the nests. Use a flash light looking into the holes and making sure the larvae and bees are evacuated. The remedy works for 3-4 months.
- Boric acid powder. Have you noticed a great activity of insects? Place boric acid traps around those places. In a few days they are going to give great results. The efficiency is proven in 86% of cases.
- Diatomaceous earth. How do I get rid of carpenter bees naturally? I use this special powder that is made from fossilized diatom algae. It features microscopic sharp edges that normally cut the covering of insects.
Sprinkle some of the solution into holes and nests after the bees leave them. After returning they are going to be covered with the powder and will soon die.
Make sure to wear protective clothing while handling these bees.
As you see, getting rid of carpenter bees naturally can be both easy and effective. In any case, while reading this, but having not yet faced the problem like this one, think of preventive measures. Who knows, maybe they are going to save your place from infestation?
Thanks to this article you’ve found out what and when to do to succeed. Sometimes, the solutions seem too easy to be the truth, but strength is always hidden in simplicity.